Author Topic: Dumb Question - Red Spot  (Read 4185 times)

matokage

Dumb Question - Red Spot
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:55:28 AM »
What is this red spot and why is it there?

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Re: Dumb Question - Red Spot
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:05 AM »
Geo location marker

it's there because the drawing has a geographic location assigned.
I you don't want to see it, set GEOMARKERVISIBILITY to 0
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

matokage

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »
It worked, but i don't understand why it set a Geo marker since I didn't gave it this command. This isn't the first time either.

DeeGeeCees_V.2.0

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:44 AM »
I just ran into one of those (or something similar) when trying to hatch a complex spline boundary with many vertices in AutoCad 2017. In some cases, if AutoCad can't complete the operation, it thinks there's a gap and creates those red circles to mark where the operation has a problem. A regen releases them. To fix things in my case, I closed off a few sections with plines to simplify the hatch boundary so AutoCad didn't have to crunch as may numbers. It made for creating a few separate hatch objects, but I just grouped them when done.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
Inserting geographic location information to a drawing file makes points within the drawing correspond to geographic locations on the surface of the Earth.

Geographic location information in a drawing file is built around an entity known as the geographic marker. The geographic marker points to a reference point in model space that corresponds to a location on the surface of the earth of known latitude and longitude. The program also captures the direction of the north at this location. Based on this information the program can derive the geographic coordinates of all other points in the drawing file.

Typically a geographic location is defined by its coordinates (for example, latitude, longitude, and elevation) and the coordinate system (for example, WGS 84) used to define the coordinates. Moreover, the coordinates of a location can differ from one GIS coordinate system to another. Hence, when you specify the geographic location of the geographic marker, the system also captures the details of the GIS coordinate system.

Typically CAD drawings are unitless and are drawn at 1:1 scale. You are free to decide the linear unit a drawing unit represents. GIS systems, on the other hand, allow the coordinate system to decide the linear units. In order to map CAD coordinates to GIS coordinates, the system needs to interpret CAD drawing units in terms of linear units. The system uses the setting stored in the INSUNITS system variable as the default linear measurement of a drawing unit. However, when you insert geographic location information, you have the option of specifying a different linear measurement (for a drawing unit).

You can remove geographic location information from a drawing file using the GEOREMOVE command. The geographic marker and GIS coordinate system are removed from the drawing file. However, position markers continue to remain in the drawing file.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2019/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-47B2082F-204E-499A-99AD-96DC2BA3738F
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:55:06 AM »
It worked, but i don't understand why it set a Geo marker since I didn't gave it this command. This isn't the first time either.

Then it was probably set in the drawing before you started working on it.

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:49:43 AM »
You could add this to your acaddoc.lsp:
Code: [Select]
(if (/= (getvar 'geomarkervisibility) 0)(progn(setvar 'geomarkervisibility 0)(princ "\nGeomarkerVisibility turned off. GEOMARKERVISIBILITY")))
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
(if (/= (getvar 'geomarkervisibility) 0)(progn(setvar 'geomarkervisibility 0)(princ "\nGeomarkerVisibility turned off. GEOMARKERVISIBILITY")))

Why bother checking it? Why not just set it?

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »

Why bother checking it? Why not just set it?
So no matter where any drawing came from I'd never have to see it again.  Didn't want to have to set it every time I found it and I've never had a use for it.
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »

My point was, just set it. Don't waste time checking to see what the current value is.
I know, that time is negligible, probably not even measurable, but as people work on larger and more complex programs, every millisecond starts to add up.

Cheers.