Author Topic: Using "ADE" functionality in AutoCAD instead of Civil 3D  (Read 3321 times)

mailmaverick

• Bull Frog
Using "ADE" functionality in AutoCAD instead of Civil 3D
« on: October 30, 2018, 04:20:03 AM »
Can we use "ADE" functionality in AutoCAD instead of Civil 3D by loading any given ARX or DLL or any other file (available with Civil 3D) in AutoCAD ?
For reference, I'm attaching "acmaplisp.chm" file.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: Using "ADE" functionality in AutoCAD instead of Civil 3D
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:26:20 AM »
Can we use "ADE" functionality in AutoCAD instead of Civil 3D by loading any given ARX or DLL or any other file (available with Civil 3D) in AutoCAD ?
For reference, I'm attaching "acmaplisp.chm" file.

Generally no but if it's an .arx file then 'maybe' and then only if the functions within it do not rely on other dll's (which it probably does). Then there could be a license issue, that is, if you use it, it may look for another dll/function/whatever to check for a license.
Just thinking out loud though, it may work, give it a spin :)
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

mailmaverick

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:47:32 AM »
I loaded all ARX files in my Civil 3D folder in AutoCAD but still not able to run the ADE functions.

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 05:05:31 AM »
I loaded all ARX files in my Civil 3D folder in AutoCAD but still not able to run the ADE functions.

The .arx files are only part of the system, these .arx files could/probably rely on many other files such as .brx and other .dll files (.arx and .brx files are just .dll's with another file extension).
The problem is most likely you are not loading the 'main' or 'entry point' .arx which loads the others required to get it to work.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

- J.R.R. Tolkien

mailmaverick

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:31:08 AM »
The .arx files are only part of the system, these .arx files could/probably rely on many other files such as .brx and other .dll files (.arx and .brx files are just .dll's with another file extension).
The problem is most likely you are not loading the 'main' or 'entry point' .arx which loads the others required to get it to work.

If your're able to find the main entry point, please let us know.

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:17 AM »

If your're able to find the main entry point, please let us know.

Civil 3D? :-D

Sorry, couldn't resist, but really, why not just run Civil 3D and use the functions??
- John Carmack

- J.R.R. Tolkien

mailmaverick

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »
Im having Civil 3d but not in many other computers of the office.
we want to use certain ADE functions in them too.

Rod

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 07:31:20 PM »
On my computer I have Civil 2019 installed. If I open the default "as Autocad" shortcut I am able to use the ade functions.

What version are you using and what functions aren't working?

EDIT ohh I see you are trying to run them on computers with Vanilla Autocad. I'm pretty sure this is by design and is not supposed to be circumvented.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:35:18 PM by Rod »
"All models are wrong, some models are useful" - George Box

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »
If you have a current subscription (not maintenance), you have access to AutoCAD and all Verticals if that helps any.

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
With the current subscription (not maintenance) 2019 comes with 7 toolsets of previous verticals, but it doesn't include Civil 3D.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/features
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D

mailmaverick

• Bull Frog
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
Actually ADE functions are part of MAP 3D.
Civil 3D is a superset encompassing functionalities of many subsets (toolsets) such as MAP  3D, Vanilla AutoCAD and many others.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
With the current subscription (not maintenance) 2019 comes with 7 toolsets of previous verticals, but it doesn't include Civil 3D.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/features
I thought it did, but we have the Architectural and Building Collection (or whatever they are calling it this week) because we also need Revit, so Civil 3D and Map is included there. So if you have a current subscription that has Civil 3D, i would think you should have access to both.