Author Topic: AutoDesk MAP - Change Default Styles  (Read 6501 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
AutoDesk MAP - Change Default Styles
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
I got a question for you. How can you change the Default Styles within MAP to show transparent every time you would import a SDF or Shape file? I know I can edit each style, but I have to do that each time I bring in a new object.

Thanks for the help!
Civil3D 2020

MSTG007

• Gator
Re: AutoDesk MAP - Change Default Styles
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »
I think I found out kinda how to do it... Thought I would share.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-forum/saving-layer-styles-for-reuse/td-p/7332848

Hi,

you can save a layer as .Layer file (context menu of layer in Display Manager). Or you can save your drawing containg your layers as template (DWT). Problem is that Map saves the data source details as well. Whenever you have a new project and new data sources (name of table, data base connection, file name, file path have changed) these details need to be changed manually.

Here is one option:

Save your layer as .layer file (context menu of layer in Display Manager).

When you have a new project:

1) add data (file or database connection) to your drawing
2) add layer (feature class) to your drawing - features will get default stylization
3) save the layer as .Layer file
4) open both layer files (template and new one) in an text editor
5) copy the stylization from your template layer and paste it into your project layer, save it
6) remove layer from drawing (the one with default stylization)
7) drag and drop new layer from step 5 into Display Manager

The tricky bit might be step 5. Which part needs to be copied? Look for section <VectorScaleRange>...</VectorScaleRange>. This is the main part of the layer file anyway.
If attribute names are different then you need to change names withtin <VectorScaleRange></VectorScaleRange> as well. Otherwise you can just copy and paste (replace) the block <VectorScaleRange></VectorScaleRange>.

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
yep...that's about the 'only' way, is to apply the style after the fact...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
I did just try a test. I was able to just drag the .layer file into it and it brought the sdf file with it. interesting... quicker
Civil3D 2020

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:43:11 AM »
Got another question for you. Is it possible to have these layers in the task pane be placed on a Layer in the Layer Manager or do you have to manually move it?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
Technically the Map Task Pane 'layers' and autocads' layers are separate entities.

And they do not automatically populate within Layer Manager, and you will find they , the map layers (MAP), are not well controlled through layer manager (autocad)

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Let me ask this... I am trying to use these SDFs (.Layers) for creating simple exhibits. I can drag the GIS files into CAD (Parcels , Roads, FEMA, etc.) and then turn on an aerial. Really simple. But I am tryin to understand how to control it more. More like a "normal" drawing. I don't think I want to save these out to DWGS and xref them in. (There huge and loading takes forever.) SDFs are fast to load which is awesome.

Sorry for rambling on. Also, could these SDF files be read only so it will not prompt me to "Check in" the features each time I close out of a exhibit drawing?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »
in MAP options you can control how/when changes to database files are made, and or if you have to check them in/or not.
OR  dont edit the stuff that is brought in through SDF files...then you wont be checking them in....because you wont be modifying the data...

But there is a setting for that on the MAP SETUP tab  far right....

Also MAP is not normal autocad...so attempting to relate you map sessions to autocad is not going to help.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »
Thank you for clarifying that!
Civil3D 2020