Author Topic: Converting old ACAD 2010 .dvb files to work 2018....?  (Read 6195 times)

wee

• Mosquito
Converting old ACAD 2010 .dvb files to work 2018....?
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
It’s old .dvb autocad 2010 excel program that I need to update to work with acad 2018. There are around 8 different modules that would need to be updated.

I have contacted the programmer that original wrote these for my company but have not heard back from him and I expect he may be hard to get intouch with, at least he has been in the past.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or share a contact of someone that might be willing to take on a project like this…? We are willing to pay but would need an estimate on cost.

Thank You

Brian Wheeler

Crystal Marble Co.

n.yuan

• Bull Frog
Re: Converting old ACAD 2010 .dvb files to work 2018....?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Since you mentioned there are 8 modules in the DVB file, the VBA project might be quite complicated, if it contains UIs (UserForms). Furthermore, AutoCAD2010's VBA is 32-bit (even AutoCAD 2010 is 64-bit itself), and your current Acad2018 is very likely 64-bit (thus 64-bit VBA), the conversion/upgrade of VBA project may be difficult, depending on if the VBA project used 32-bit specific components (especially, 32-bit UI components). If yes, there may not be 64-bit equivalents available, which would force you/someone to re-write big chunk of code. If this is the case, it might be better to re-write it with .NET API.

So, your first thing to decide is: if the VBA can be easily upgrade to AutoCAD 2018, due the the 32-bit to 64-bit change. Then, if some code rewrite is required, is it worth the effort to keep it as VBA (an old technology, lack of 64-bit support, inspite being 64-bit itself), or rewrite it for longer future (.NET API).

wee

• Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
There is some dialog boxes involved, this was written almost 20 years ago and at the time was based on a program called Blockout (they are no longer in business). It doesn't really matter to us if it's just updated or completely re-written.

Brian

GILESP

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 04:20:04 AM »
Without knowing much about the code in question, there's typically 2 areas that will need attention, the majority of the code will still work, as VBA as a language hasn't changed that much, however you only need one bit not to work to break the whole thing.

Typically the changes are how the code interacts with other functions outside of it's environment.

1. References to Autocad type libraries, done using the tool/references... dialogue - you'll need to check each reference that's not found, and browse to the new ones.

2. References to windows functions - since the move over to 64bit OS, one of the changes needed is the insertion of the PTRSAFE in any DECLARE FUNCTIONs referencing windows DLLs.

If you can get a look at the code inside the IDE, that'll hopefully give you an idea of the scope of the problem, that'll help you decide if you want to outsource or keep it in house.
..END OF LINE..

wee

• Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
Gilesp....Thank you for the reply, there is no doubt that this project will have to be outsourced, I know almost nothing about code. N.yuan is taking a look at the code to give me advice on what might be the best method to get it converted, I'll post back once we talk.

Brian

wee

• Mosquito
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
I want to give a big Thank You to n.yuan, he helped me greatly with my issue.  Great guy to deal with.

Brian