Author Topic: "If an algorithm draws lines on a map, is that the same as land surveying?"  (Read 7493 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/07/if-an-algorithm-draws-lines-on-a-map-is-that-the-same-as-land-surveying/

When does drawing a digital line on a satellite map cross an ethereal threshold into the centuries-old practice of licensed land surveying? This is the existential question now before a Mississippi state court.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Technically....they are NOT surveying

They do not verify or occupy any monuments...

I'm guessing they do not represent the 'data' as a ALTA/ASCM Title or Boundary survey...so not a survey.

From their webpage:

Vizaline’s product Viza-plat is a polygon(s) of a particular property of interest, constructed from a property description and placed on imagery for visualization and general reference purposes only.

It is not a Legal Survey, nor is it intended to be or replace a Legal Survey.

I think the board is exhibiting a little bit of overreach.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Same here. I'm curious how the banks are using the data/maps though.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Same here. I'm curious how the banks are using the data/maps though.

My suspicious mind is suggesting a new form of 'red lining' to deny loans in certain areas.

Or just some means to identify the physical location of the property in question. 
Although I would doubt they are using this information in lieu of an actual title report/ALTA survey of the property.
However, perhaps some surveyor has discovered the banks are foregoing an actual survey,
and that the lost revenue is really the motivation for the action. (?)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Scott

• Bull Frog
Tell me it isn't so. GOVERNMENT OVERREACH!!!!! I've never heard of such a thing.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Technically....they are NOT surveying

They do not verify or occupy any monuments...

I'm guessing they do not represent the 'data' as a ALTA/ASCM Title or Boundary survey...so not a survey.

From their webpage:

Vizaline’s product Viza-plat is a polygon(s) of a particular property of interest, constructed from a property description and placed on imagery for visualization and general reference purposes only.

It is not a Legal Survey, nor is it intended to be or replace a Legal Survey.

but you know that consumers, banks, property owners, sellers, etc are going to treat it as an authoritative source, even though it's not.  Upshot will be an increase in the number of lawsuits over property boundaries.... 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull

but you know that consumers, banks, property owners, sellers, etc are going to treat it as an authoritative source, even though it's not.  Upshot will be an increase in the number of lawsuits over property boundaries....

Yes, and most likely the 'concern' of the board is that potential, that people will treat it as an actual boundary survey.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

cadtag

• Swamp Rat

Yes, and most likely the 'concern' of the board is that potential, that people will treat it as an actual boundary survey.

And given the 'ugliness' and ambiguity of some boundary descriptions I've had the misfortune to try and interpret into linework  - it's a guarantee that there will be errors filtering though.  but hey!! it's on a computer, right?
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Dent Cermak

Being from Mississippi, let me enlighten you. They are creating these "drawings" from deed and laid on Google Earth Images. They are representing that data as true and accurate. Remember too that Google is NOT orthophotography. They then are measuring distances from said property lines to the buildings, fence lines and driveways to indicate encroachments. That measuring is INDEED surveying according to current Mississippi Law. In Mississippi even Tax maps must be tied to identifiable ground features along withy being "edge matched" on all 4 sides. What they want is a "reasonably priced product" by which they can determine encroachments. That too defines a "SURVEY". Do you really believe that the general public knows the difference? That is NOT what my 50 years of experience has taught me to be the facts. Cut a few more corners and your profession will be totally worthless. Another thing; there are no longer ALTA/ACSM surveys. ACSM is gone, Today they are ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys. They are FAR more concerned about that title than this issue. I believe the little lawyer got his wrist slapped because what he was doing was not only a violation of current Board Standards, but also of a State Law on GPS Surveys.