Author Topic: "ALL USERS" directory  (Read 2662 times)

danny

"ALL USERS" directory
« on: June 02, 2005, 09:36:50 PM »
I would like to run the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk from our office server.  I currently have custimized ADT Tags, schedules, etc. and am planning on setting up our office detail library within this directory.  I see that it could be a great advantage to set this up on our network instead of on local hard drives.
Any suggestion on how to do this and what paths have to be changed in AutoCAD?  Any comments or Ideas?
Thanks,

Robb

"ALL USERS" directory
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 10:51:22 PM »
Cant you change the path in the config menu? export that profile to an arg file then import it in to each of your workstations?

Thats kind of how I did it on our system but not everyone is on it yet. It has everyone using the same hatch patterns, linetype files, lisps, and details library folder in your case.

I see a problem with people modifying some of the printer files and screwing everyone else up but I am guessing there is a way to write protect the files so only an admin could make changes. When a modification needs to be made the admin would have to do it.

danny

"ALL USERS" directory
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:12:04 PM »
Where or what did you change in the config menu?  I'v tried changing the support path and the ADT path on my own machine, but didn't work.  Do you have steps to follow?  Won't importing an arg file change the custom profile of users AutoCAD's?  If server work is neccessary, or server goes down, Will users still be able to run AutoCAD?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
"ALL USERS" directory
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 10:02:56 AM »
Not having ADT I couldn't tell you where to change the path at but it's probably in the options.

I use this lisp in my startup to ensure everyone is looking at the same pc3 files. You could probably modify it if ADT has an envronment variable for the path you are looking for. A quick search in the registry found this key AdLMInfoPath with C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2005\R16.1\Adlm\ associated with it.  Keep in mind env variables are case sensitive.

Code: [Select]
(if (getenv "PrinterConfigDir")
(setenv "PrinterConfigDir" "S:\\AutoCAD Shared\\Plotters")
(princ "\n   <<Couldn't Set PrinterConfigDir>>")
)
(princ)

As far as the server going down....I would imagine your drawings are located on the server so it really doesn't matter what paths you have dependent of the server because the drawings would not be accessible anyways. (guess)

HTH

Ron
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:00:51 AM by ronjonp »

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

danny

"ALL USERS" directory
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 02:56:56 PM »
As far as the server going down....I would imagine you're drawings are located on the server so it really doesn't matter what paths you have dependent of the server because the drawings would not be accessible anyways. (guess)

True, but users with drawings open will have the option to do a saveas to there hard drives and continue working on those while the server is down.
These are the folders I have in under the "All Users\Application Data\Autodesk "
Code: [Select]
AEC Content
Layers
Plot Styles
Styles
Support
Template
Textures
Tool Catalogs

I've tried changing the path location for AEC Content under "options" "AEC Content"  and got a message
You have changed the content path. To see the new content tree in the Autodesk design center, you may have to collapse them first.

Don't know what "collapse them" means.  I've closed the pallette and reopened it and nothing has changed.  Its still looking at the C:drive.

danny

"ALL USERS" directory
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:01:46 PM »
okay..I wrote that too soon.  Just tried it again and got the AEC Content to work off the network.
I would still need to change the paths of the other folders though.