Author Topic: Express tools not working  (Read 18172 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Express tools not working
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »
when invoking textmask in 2016 I get:

Command: textmask
(*pop-error-mode*) underflow.
Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

in C3D 2017, (preferred) I get:

1 of the monitored system variables has changed from the preferred value. Use SYSVARMONITOR command to view changes.

after resetting SYSVARMONITOR I get:

Command: textmask
Nested error trapping used incorrectly.
Resetting nesting index to 1.
(*pop-error-mode*) underflow.
Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

Googled and yes textmask works on the same text in a new dwg, but its a little late to re build. Any fix?

<edit>
Sorry had to post first then do a search (didn't want to lose all the hard work of cut/paste). Guess I can do a mtext background mask, but, but,but.....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:41:52 PM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Express tools not working
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
perhaps...

WBLOCK>>>>entire drawing to new dwg

Then use Design Center to import all of the layout tabs from original file.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/pop-error-mode-with-textmask/td-p/7708063
Please note, the above link does not point to an 'accepted' solution.

Although it does suggest one start a NEW drawing, which is what the
WBLOCK+Design Center solution offered above does for the user.
WBLOCK for the model space entities
Design Center (CTRL+2) to drag in all the layouts (paperspace entities)
Its really efficient to do it that way.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/pop-error-mode-with-textmask/td-p/7708063

It does however, in post 4, point to the likely cause of the error; namely a global custom error trap  that uses a "command" call. Command calls in global custom error traps should be changed to use "command-s" or the error trap should be localised.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:00:30 PM by Dlanor »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »

It does however, in post 4, point to the likely cause of the error; namely a global custom error trap  that uses a "command" call. Command calls in global custom error traps should be changed to use "command-s" or the error trap should be localised.

And my best guess is, this isn't the only cause/effect for most users that are encountering this problem.
Further most user may not even be in a position to change whatever custom program(s) using the "command" call.
And given that it most likely isn't the source for all such errors, they probably shouldn't unless or until it is determined to be the actual cause.

It also appears that ultimately the solution is two-parts - first being change the routine(s) using 'command' to use 'command-s'
and two, reset the drawing using a blank template, wblock, or other method(s).

Let's see what the OP has to say about what was found and or what 'fixed' the issue.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
And my best guess is, this isn't the only cause/effect for most users that are encountering this problem.
Further most user may not even be in a position to change whatever custom program(s) using the "command" call.
And given that it most likely isn't the source for all such errors, they probably shouldn't unless or until it is determined to be the actual cause.

It also appears that ultimately the solution is two-parts - first being change the routine(s) using 'command' to use 'command-s'
and two, reset the drawing using a blank template, wblock, or other method(s).

Let's see what the OP has to say about what was found and or what 'fixed' the issue.

This is the third time I've seen this problem, and it was the root cause in the previous two. If it is the problem, it will return when the offending lisp(s) is/are run again.

I solved the problem I had with the help of this explanation i was emailed. A legacy lisp was globally redefining the autocad error function.

*pop-error-mode*

Autodesk has change the way the Command function works in AutoLisp 2015.  There are now two command functions: Command & Command-S.  The Command function works the way it did in the previous versions except when it is used in an *Error* function.  Before a Command function can be called in an *Error* function you have to call a (*push-error-using-command*) function before the (*Error*) function is called.  In addition, the program must call the(*pop-error-mode*) function after calling the (*push-error-using-command*) function before the program exits.

The alternative is to replace the Command Functions with Command-S functions in the AutoLisp code.  The main differences between the Command and Command-S functions is that the Command-S function can only execute one command at a time and the values necessary to completely execute the command must be provided in one Command-S function call.  The Command function allowed you to start a command by calling one Command function and then supplied the command values by calling additional Command functions.  The Command-S function can not do that.

I suspect that the Express Tool program was not modified to work with the new AutoLisp 2015 command and error handling functions so you are getting the error message.

For more information access the AutoLisp help and read up on the Command, Command-S and the Error-Handling Functions Reference.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
Interesting,  and validates information I have suggested for many years.

With each release, I have suggested that users re-evaluate all lisp/start-up routines to ensure
they are both compatible and necessary.

Also noteworthy, autodesk changes how a function works, and then doesn't update their own code.    :uglystupid2:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:13:58 AM »
I thought the particular drawing was the problem. If it is the lisp, it will not help to move all contents to another drawing, does it?
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 03:22:34 AM »
I thought the particular drawing was the problem. If it is the lisp, it will not help to move all contents to another drawing, does it?

I'm no expert here, but as far as I'm aware, the problem can be caused by a "user" lisp that globally redefines the Autocad error function, and uses a command call. Moving to a new drawing will reset the loaded lisp routines to those in the startup suite and reset the Autocad error function. If the problem persists in a new drawing, one of the startup suite lisps may be causing the problem.