Author Topic: inserting images  (Read 3323 times)

CottageCGirl

inserting images
« on: May 11, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
working in vanilla Acad, I need to insert images (format is flexible) , but i need to actually INSERT them, not reference them.  We export and share drawings and I really would prefer not to bind them...

is there a way to insert an image but not need to keep the original file in a stable location?    We publish to PDF as well, but I need a way to keep the image with the .dwg file.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: inserting images
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »
If I'm reading that right, no - there isn't a way to "insert" but not "bind"  :?

You can either reference the original image file (and deal with pathing issues), or you can insert them as a bitmap (and deal with horribly bloated DWG file sizes).

Pathing issues can be mitigated somewhat with relative paths, or project path settings.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

kirby

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:45:04 PM »
See method on Greg Battin's site

https://autocadtips1.com/2013/02/22/embed-a-picture-not-as-a-reference/

(Lots of good tips and code on this site, just stumbled on it a couple of week's ago)

Biscuits

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
Use AutoCAD's Paste Special.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
If I'm reading that right, no - there isn't a way to "insert" but not "bind"  :?

You can either reference the original image file (and deal with pathing issues), or you can insert them as a bitmap (and deal with horribly bloated DWG file sizes).

Pathing issues can be mitigated somewhat with relative paths, or project path settings.

BITMAP might be the solution, we move and share files often and the source file often does not end up with the dwg..

will try it

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »
Use AutoCAD's Paste Special.
Better to use INSERTOBJ
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

rw2691

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
InsertObj worked very well... slick. It handles PDF, DOC, TXT, IMG and XML. But it really packed the memory. A 9kb file, inserting a 900kb jpg, jacked up to 53mb. Quite an overload.

There is an option if that is too much for you. "_imageattach" has a relative folder option. If the image is in the same folder as the DWG (and you send the file with the folder), or it is sent with a subfolder that contains the image, the folders can be copied to anywhere and the DWG file can retrieve it.

Rick
Hippocrates (400BC), "Life is short, craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult."

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »
working in vanilla Acad, I need to insert images (format is flexible) , but i need to actually INSERT them, not reference them.  We export and share drawings and I really would prefer not to bind them...

is there a way to insert an image but not need to keep the original file in a stable location?    We publish to PDF as well, but I need a way to keep the image with the .dwg file.
You must be working on a GSA project.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

CottageCGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 03:31:45 PM »
Hi! I really should get on here more.. just soooo busy.   

InsertObj is working well, except I have one user who , when they insert, the image comes in square and squished no matter what size or shape... is this a setting issue?