Author Topic: Disappearing Attributes and Broken Fields  (Read 7605 times)

polhub

Disappearing Attributes and Broken Fields
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
We have a block we use all the time there and works perfectly when copied within the drawing. There are eight attributes total, four of which are fields. If you insert the block two of four fields do not appear and none of the fields work. It is always the same two attributes that are missing. When I check the fields of the inserted block they say 'The object referenced by the field has been erased" but it is clearly there.

I deleted the attributes that were always missing and recreated the fields. While the two missing attributes came back none of the fields work. Any idea why things work fine when copied but not inserted?

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
Re: Disappearing Attributes and Broken Fields
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:52:35 AM »
We have a block we use all the time there and works perfectly when copied within the drawing. There are eight attributes total, four of which are fields. If you insert the block two of four fields do not appear and none of the fields work. It is always the same two attributes that are missing. When I check the fields of the inserted block they say 'The object referenced by the field has been erased" but it is clearly there.

I deleted the attributes that were always missing and recreated the fields. While the two missing attributes came back none of the fields work. Any idea why things work fine when copied but not inserted?

Attaching a copy of the block drawing and base drawing (2010) might help.  :opps:

Rod

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:55 AM »
A block object have have different attributes to the block definition.  If you create a block definition, insert the block, then edit the block definition by deleting some attributes they will be different.
My guess is that is what has happened in this case. Without seeing the DWG file I can't be sure. You could fix the block definition but be aware some block instances could be different.

Cheers, Rod
"All models are wrong, some models are useful" - George Box

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
what 'object' is the field attempting to get their data from?

is it possible that the 'unique' object ID that it is after is in fact gone, like the case of a viewport or tab?

Perhaps those objects the fields are looking for should be in your drawing template, along with the block and it's attribute(s).

Try that and report back
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
If you have the "same" block with different attrib-definitions - as Rod says above - please consider the commands

attsync
battman

and links like
About Modifying Block Attribute Definitions
http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-F351FDBB-2731-40C1-A186-1B1F47779E32

Attributes not showing for blocks in AutoCAD
http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2018/ENU/?caas=caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Attributes-not-showing-for-blocks.html

Maybe your problem comes out of these topics.
Peter

AutoCAD Map 3D 2023 German (so some technical terms will be badly retranslated to English)
BricsCAD V23