Author Topic: AutoCAD Web  (Read 2711 times)

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
AutoCAD Web
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:42:17 PM »
Looks AD has made more progress on this.

The performance in some of my 2D tests isn't stellar, and I crashed it a couple times, but it's still an interesting idea.

I'm curious to see what technologies will be used for programming customization, and how they can incentivize developers to work on the platform.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
Re: AutoCAD Web
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »
I can't login, the login page is returning me back to the login page. Without any helpful message.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
  • I'm just here for the Shelties.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
just tried it in Chrome. Locked it up good by just picking the layer tab with a basic drawing of ours. Oops.
James Maeding

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
There is no command line, so only options are what is in the GUI.
Selection is only press and drag for window, not click click.
Function keys like F3 don't toggle osnaps.
Its a nice toy so far.
The open time was a bit slow, considering no xrefs resolved.
That concerns me, as the data is on their end, and the interface is stripped down.
Should be much faster.
James Maeding

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:51:09 PM »
I think it will be a long time before we get any real usable CADD app's up on the web. There's just too much going on in the CAD engine and user interface to handle a full design/engineering package and that's without the files you work on.
AutoCAD vanilla requires over 6gb of space to install and while your browser can cache a fair bit, the whole point/advantage of using web applications is the continuous roll out of features and bug fixes so you will be downloading a LOT of data just to run the app.

Maybe this is a way for Autodesk to pivot into the cloud arena (PaaS) following the lead of Microsoft? It's a big ship to change course with though, desktop apps will be around for a while yet.
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
... AutoCAD vanilla requires over 6gb of space to install ...

That's because they don't clean up the list of needed files and stuff from previous installations :-) BricsCAD is only 250 MB. So it is possible to have a full CAD environment with less weight.

[/size]
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Not only AuyoCAD. The lists of all these Autodesk software releases and solutions adds up to a tremendous size on local data. I do not see any sign in their development or marketing that this is being addressed. Suchs a big waist on computer power, data flow and use of energy.. I believe one day people / companies will no longer tollerate performing so badly on use of data.
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
huiz said " they don't clean up the list of needed files and stuff from previous installations ".

That is a different issue. The install media is 5.2 gb, yet the actual installed files for autocad is 2 gb or so.
I installed c3d so deselected the c3d, map, and inventor server folders.

So what is the extra 3 gb in the install media?
1/2 gb in 3rdParty
1/2 gb in Content (materials)
under x64, its:
1 gb RC2018 (recap install files) Can you believe it????
.4 gb en-us
.4 gb Components

So likely the materials got installed, bringining the installed size to 2.5 gb, and also some drivers and things, bringing it to maybe 3 gb.

The install media seriously has Recap in it, what a joke. wow, the sample dataset is 1/3 gb in there.
They did that because they force you to make .rcs files from any point cloud files (.las and .laz) before you can bring into acad.

James Maeding

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
The idea : give the installer the impression that AutoCAD is still 'heavily developed'. Installation all most done..
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..