Author Topic: About BricsCAD  (Read 8808 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
About BricsCAD
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:23:41 AM »
BricsCAD

BricsCAD Editions: The best alternative to AutoCAD®
BricsCAD offers a whole new world for those who venture beyond the AutoCAD® horizon. Among its growing community of users, BricsCAD is best known for its feature-rich combination of 2D drawing and 3D modeling.
https://www.bricsys.com/en-us/bricscad/compare/
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

ChrisCarlson

Re: About BricsCAD
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »
Discussions about transitioning to BricsCAD will be occurring for 2018. We need to first figure out if our larger customers will allow non-AutoCAD files.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:45:46 PM »
The latest Bricscad release is pretty awesome, they have a good focus on the end user, performance and dwg compatibilty. AFAIK it's the only dwg platform that combines all disciplines into the one file format.

Here's a playlist of the last Bricsys conference, well worth the watch if you are thinking of a change.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLONdQc9bizsefon1FeedsK0fglNrp8uB-
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Kyle Reese

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »
Discussions about transitioning to BricsCAD will be occurring for 2018. We need to first figure out if our larger customers will allow non-AutoCAD files.

Any chance your customers utilize one or more features not supported by Bricscad?

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 05:04:19 AM »
Kyle Reese dont forget Briscad is programmable so if something is not just there some one may have written a work around.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
I've certainly been appreciating the loadup speed of Bricscad, but I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain further?

..AFAIK it's the only dwg platform that combines all disciplines into the one file format.

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
I've certainly been appreciating the loadup speed of Bricscad, but I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain further?

..AFAIK it's the only dwg platform that combines all disciplines into the one file format.

Sure.
Adesk products such as Revit, Inventor et al all save to their own file type extension that is not compatible with dwg without some sort of enabler or import/export mechanism. All of Bricscad's 'verticals' save to dwg so you can all work on the one file/project with different disciplines. The Sheet metal, Architectural and Mechanical packs all save to dwg.
J.R.R. Tolkien

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
Shame there appears to be nothing for Civil Design/Survey  in the BricsCAD offerings...I'd be lobbying pretty hard to switch if they were available/compatible.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »
Shame there appears to be nothing for Civil Design/Survey  in the BricsCAD offerings...I'd be lobbying pretty hard to switch if they were available/compatible.

there is definitely a few known names moving or already moved over to Bricscad that may not be in the App store.
Here's an Aussie site that I know of - http://civilsitedesign.com.au/
I noticed in this years conf talks that they have a Civil3d enabler to could be very useful as well.
J.R.R. Tolkien

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »

there is definitely a few known names moving or already moved over to Bricscad that may not be in the App store.
Here's an Aussie site that I know of - http://civilsitedesign.com.au/
I noticed in this years conf talks that they have a Civil3d enabler to could be very useful as well.

That looks interesting.  Not sure that an 'enabler' would be the ticket if the goal is to migrate AWAY from C3D/Autodesk, more like an XML importer would be desirable.
Thanks it gives me something to research, other vendors to chose from would be good as well.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
FWIW -- I just installed Carlson civil 2018 on Intellicad 8.3,  I would not be a bit surprised to see them add BricsCAD to their supported platforms in addition to Acad/Intellicad.  Might be worth sending an email to them to drum up support.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »
We need to first figure out if our larger customers will allow non-AutoCAD files.

Ask them to set DWGCHECK=0
They'll never know the difference between what app created the file, except that the BricsCAD .DWG files will probably be smaller in file size, and fewer of them will be corrupt.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »
Ask them to set DWGCHECK=0
<thumbs up>
:)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)