Author Topic: Notching Viewports  (Read 1643 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Notching Viewports
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
Hopefully this makes some sense. Some asked me if there was a way to take a viewport and notch another viewport inside the main one. So if I understood, He has one already at a set plan scale. He wants to show a rectangle or what not over the plan view at the same scale and same view. However, he wants the notched viewport to show other layers and colors within it.

Let me know if that does not make sense...
Civil3D 2020

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
Re: Notching Viewports
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:36:48 AM »
IF I understand you correctly (Essentially you want a larger viewport with fewer layers visible for context around another viewport at the same scale with more layers for greater detail), I suspect that just placing your second viewport on top of the first would be all you need to do.  You can use Ctrl-R to cycle between viewports.

If you're not happy with that, putting a wipeout between the two viewports may help, but check your PDFs/prints, because sometimes wipeouts can be funny (showing up as black rectangles), and display order is always a lot of fun with them!

Another option to look into is viewport clipping (just type CLIP and follow the prompts).

HTH

dJE
===
dJE

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »
Viewport clipping is probably the easiest. Simply create a closed pline around what you want and run VPCLIP.

If your company's standard is to set the viewport boundary to non-plot, you'll need to manually select the polyline through the properties window to set it to your non-plot layer.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
This is the only way that I know how to do it...
Civil3D 2020

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:45:53 PM »
I believe you can also use a region as the clipping object.