Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 47839 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
No problem, if I can't answer it, my IT assistant should be able to do so. Although, I am not exactly sure what LAMP is, we do everything through the EC2 servers, that way they are full computer systems that we can install whatever we need to on, again my assistant probably would know.
That stands for Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP. I'm using Lightsail (https://amazonlightsail.com/) and running one of their images for $5 a month. Not sure if i could make just an EC2 server work or not.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
So, basically, Lightsail is pretty much a prebuilt EC-2 instance, which is what they call essentially a computer on their systems, designed for simplicity to get up and running quickly, but as a result, you do loose some flexibility with it.
EC-2 is essentially a full computer that you can remote into from anywhere and do anything that you can do on a computer.

Some advantages to Lightsail over EC-2:
Set monthly pricing based on what you need
Easy to setup and maintain
Simple to understand

Some advantages to EC-2 over Lightsail:
Fully scaleable in real time, when you need more power, EC-2 instance can be added automatically in the background and when less is needed, it can be automatically closed. Lightsail can scale to a point, but not to the same degree and not as much in real time.
Pay for only what you use
Has tiers that are free for an entire year and that may very well include data transfers.
Inbound data transfers don't usually count again your data limits, not sure about on Lightsail.
Has more options for types of computers and operating systems
Can run an image of your existing system if you so choose

Basically, if you setup your own web server locally, you should be able to setup and configure an EC-2 instance without much difficulty, as it is essentially the same thing, you are just doing it remotely instead of physically where you are and you have to create the instance first.

Now which one is right for your needs? Well, in the end only you can decide that, they both have pluses and minuses.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
I've gone thru quite a few in the past Mark and have little good to say about the dreamhosts, directnics and godaddies (shudder) of the web world. Until Bluehost. They may not be the cheapest but they've been reliable, prompt with software upgrades and bonus, their control panel is not a nightmare. On funding and/or supporting the swamp on some other server please know I'm in ftw.
Does Bluehost have the ability to setup forums like this one included? AWS may be a bit confusing for a non-unix person to take on, if/when i turn this place over.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
I've gone thru quite a few in the past Mark and have little good to say about the dreamhosts, directnics and godaddies (shudder) of the web world. Until Bluehost. They may not be the cheapest but they've been reliable, prompt with software upgrades and bonus, their control panel is not a nightmare. On funding and/or supporting the swamp on some other server please know I'm in ftw.
Does Bluehost have the ability to setup forums like this one included? AWS may be a bit confusing for a non-unix person to take on, if/when i turn this place over.
You could be right there, much like if you have built your own Linux server and tried to turn it over to someone would be the same thing.

As for Bluehost, doing a quick google search, it appears it does:
https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/forum

I am sure other types of forums could be accommodated as well.

airportman

• Newt
  • i customize when required
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
Hey Mark:

like the other guys, I use this site pretty much once per week. I continue to rework my code based on requirements. I could not live without the Swamp. I remember another great resource that disappeared about 8 years ago. That was a sad day. Luckily, I found the Swamp as a replacement to it.   :lol:

Its hard to believe, but I've been CADDing in one form or another for almost 25 years. Sometimes as a user/designer, and sometimes as the behind the scenes guy developing improvements on the daily.

Consider your options to move it to the CLOUD and save yourself time and money.
Don't put it to sleep. We will all cry for years without it.   :no:

And thank you for the amazing 14 years to this point.
Perception is a state of mind  -/ Twitter = @hochanz -/ Intel i7 - 3.07GHz -/ 12GB Ram -/ Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
This is my go-to-site, there's never been a better place to learn efficient coding

Thank you Mark for putting up with the likes of us :) Wow 14 years.....

nokiya2000

• Newt
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:01 AM »
This site is an irreplaceable to me that I learnt a lots of thing about Auto Cad and AutoLisp.

I learnt huge things from this site.

Please I am kindly asking to keep this site as possible.

Thank you so much!

GaryJ

« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »
Hello all,

Just found this place and am sincerely hoping it doesn't go away any time soon. Been using ACAD since the 80s and playing with LISP and VBA since the 90s. The folks at Autodesk finally convinced me to make the move to BricsCAD. Very impressed with the enhanced APIs and functionality. Looking at doing some semi-serious development and resources like this are gold. Can't say I'll be here every day but this is one of the first places I will look when I get stuck.

V/r,
GaryJ

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
Welcome Gary. You’ve found the #1 site for those afflicted with OCD (Obsessive CAD Development). I share your sentiments about Autodesk - wish I was in a position to buy BricsCAD, REALLY want to start supporting said platform with a vengeance. Looking forward to your contributions, cheers. :thumbsup:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
Okay ................... finally got this place moved to a hosting provider.

Please don't use the fancy code tags. The PHP code is broken. :(

Let me know if you have any problems.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »
Congrats Mark, and thanks for all your hard work & perseverence.

Site feels quick!  :-)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »

You're welcome Lee. And yes, it does seem pretty quick.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
+1, Congrats Mark!

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
Well done Mark.
I hope the move makes your life easier in the long run.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2018, 02:59:39 AM »
Well done Mark.
I hope the move makes your life easier in the long run.

+1
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.