Author Topic: POLL :: Who has the hardest drafting job?  (Read 19662 times)

Bob Garner

POLL :: Who has the hardest drafting job?
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2004, 04:04:38 PM »
And what's up with those exposed aluminum bus pipes, the ones carrying millions of volts in bare exposed pieces of aluminum pipe.  The way we knocked out power in Bagdad was to drop carbon fibers from the air over the substations.  The carbon fibers shorted out the buses and out went the power.

nivuahc

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2004, 04:36:20 PM »
Ain't that somethin'?

You know how substations in downtown New Orleans get knocked out on a regular basis?

Pigeons.

The even install 'Pigeon Barriers' specifically for that.

Kinda makes you wonder what, besides a bajillion volts of 'lectricity, is going through that pigeons mind when he lands on one of those switches.

CADaver

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2004, 04:54:04 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc

Kinda makes you wonder what, besides a bajillion volts of 'lectricity, is going through that pigeons mind when he lands on one of those switches.

More like what his mind is going through...

nivuahc

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2004, 03:18:02 PM »
Just got some info on that video and thought it might be of interest.

This is a real video taken at the SCE Lugo substation. It's 500,000 volts released when they had to disconnect under load to fix
something.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2004, 03:37:03 PM »
That is indeed an awesome thing..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

czech mate

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2004, 10:27:42 AM »
So, for the Draftsman, I would have to say the one that has a real loser of a boss. One who doesn't know squat about drafting, one who doesn't care about drafting, let alone the draftsman. One who makes the draftsman hate to come to work in the morning but has to to make the bills. One who suppresses his employees just to try and make the world think he's great. One who makes the draftsman work on an ancient PC that crashes and causes major problems simply because of it's age ... and the boss yelling because the draftsman is incompetent.

A-bloody-men to that.
Such bosses are lower than a snakes belly, 5 steps below the lowest form of animate life (that is 1 step below an Accountant)
Being a structural guy, our problems come from all the other professions.
The Architect insists that 3 columns be omitted and the only thing that would stop the building collapsing is using Buddist Monks at one-metre spacings.
Then the Mechanical guy "needs" a 6-foot square hole through a 7-foot beam to allow a 4-inch pipe to pass through (Well we must have space to maintain the pipe - use a stonger concrete!)
The Electrical guy needs a similar size hole - maybe to wire up his mother-in-laws chair.
At the end of the day, every profession will say that they have the hardest job as the needs of the other professions generally have a negative impact on the job in hand. Our job is to overcome these problems (eventually) which puts us all in the same boat.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2004, 11:01:29 AM »
you dont sound too happy czech ever think about changing jobs...just a thought

hyposmurf

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2004, 03:08:08 PM »
You could always do contract work Czech over here in the Uk and then bring back a huge packet after the £ - CZK conversion.Not that I should encourage that type of thing as the money is lost from the UK :( .But if I was set up in Czech,was fed up with my work it would be something I'd really consider.

• Bull Frog
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2004, 06:38:09 PM »
Czech, as an Architectural Technologist I strongly resent the implication that we would want three columns removed and rely on Buddist Monks at one-metre spacings…….a wing a prayer maybe or sky hocks, but never Buddist Monks.

We without question have the hardest job. We provide the building so that:-
The Mechanical engineer can keep his plant dry,
The Electrical Engineer can provide lighting so that the mechanical engineer can see that his pipes are dry,
The Structural Engineer can support the roof so that the electrical engineer can provide the lights so that the mechanical engineer can keep his pipes dry.
The Quantity Surveyor can screw it all up by telling us that it is too expensive!
And the client can change her mind about the colour of the carpets (seriously) after they have been laid and blame everyone else.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2004, 11:21:10 PM »

And the client can change her mind about the colour of the carpets (seriously) after they have been laid and blame everyone else.

So, you have that problem in the UK as well .. I thought us yanks were the only ones with that problem....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2004, 07:30:35 PM »
architectural,
because you have start the project and its the first phase.

civil,
because there are just too many lines to see. to me its like an eye soar

CADaver

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2004, 07:45:31 PM »
Quote from: dubb
architectural

Archies???  Yeah, I'll agree witt that, they have to do all those drawings without the benefit of OSNAP, NORTH and COORDINATES.   :moon:  :yikes:

:wink:

Artisan

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2004, 07:53:26 AM »
I work in the architectural field. I have worked in residential, small commercial and large commercial for several years. I have also dabbed in civil for about 2 years. I would have to say that the architectural field is not really as hard as some make it out to be. I find it challanging, but then again, I am not a super-brain. If I had to pick one field that was the toughest, I would have to go with electromechanical. I got to meet an engineer from NASA one time. He was an older man, around 75 or so. He was the one that created the over/under washer dryer system that we put into many homes to this day. He showed me the original drawings for the machine. They were hand drawn, and let me tell you, it was a work of art. He has shown the orbit of washing machine, rotational displacements, all little parts and so on. All by hand. It was amazing. So, my hats off to those guys, impressive group.

whdjr

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2004, 09:00:26 AM »
Ok, I'm gonna tell it like it is so you guys listen up.  The client contacts the Architect to do the project.  Then the Architect selects all the other engineers; therefore that means that The Architect HAs To DEal WIth  EVERYONE ELSES CRAP AND CONTROL THE CLIENT.  THAT IS WHY THE ARCHITECT HAS THE HARDEST JOB OUT THER. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH .  

Sorry bout being on my soapbox just been dealing with too many fickle clients and non-listening engineers.

CADaver

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2004, 09:37:21 AM »
Quote from: whdjr
Sorry bout being on my soapbox just been dealing with too many fickle clients and non-listening engineers.

ahem.... ummm...

Have any of you engineering types out there ever tried to explain to an Archie-type that his beatiful sweeping facade can not be structurally supported and stay in budget?  Show of hands?

"Look Mr. Engineer, I want that 75 foot free floating cantilever so you're gonna give it to me, and you'll do it for the $87 remaining in the budget after we've bought the platinum toilet seats with the titanium hinges."