Author Topic: POLL :: Who has the hardest drafting job?  (Read 19362 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
POLL :: Who has the hardest drafting job?
« on: January 06, 2004, 11:55:43 AM »
I would have to say mechanical judging the complexity of the dwg's, although I've never done any!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 12:06:04 PM »
ME! --I'm stuck using a piece of crappy softwear.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

VerticalMojo

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 12:15:47 PM »
I would have to say Mechanical....... but I could see all of them being difficult in their own particular way.....

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 12:17:24 PM »
I'd have to agree with Se7en  :D . CrapoStation Sux! Sorry man.......

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

daron

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 12:25:18 PM »
That's a difficult question. I've done machine parts for a semiconductor plant and it was quite easy. I do architectural, some structural and seen electrical and land development. Those are all difficult in their own right because of the thinking that has to go into each. At the same time each one could get into a rut if you recycle drawings like architectural. I might have to agree with 7 also. The software and the ability to make it work for you makes you what you are.

Hangman

Just my worthless 2c worth
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 12:33:07 PM »
How are you basing the question ???   Are you refering to the amount of things involved in a project?  The amount of things needed to be remembered and used?   Maybe you are refering to the amount of work involved or perhaps the amount of sheets used.?  Or even the amount of time involved?

I would have to say the hardest job would be the soldier in Iraq, hunkered down in his hole for the night and having nightmares of the truck that blew up in front of him on the road a week ago.   Hoping that tomorrow, he will be able to get through the day without being shot at.   :(
But then again, my view may not be his view.   Perhaps he is there because he loves what he does.   He trains himself in his mind day in and day out of what to do and when to do it.   His heart is solid, he doesn't flinch when he pulls the trigger and doesn't wince when the truck in front of him explodes because of some roadside bomb.
He's a draftsman you know.   When his crew is standing around him, he draws the assault plan out on the dust of the road.   Using the tools of the trade, they organize the project, the cost analysis, the materials used, etc..

My job causes me to think too much, ...  it hurts.   :?

Any ways, ...  I would have to say Structural.   But then again, I'm thinking of the engineer who designs the project, not the draftsman who puts it all together.

So, for the Draftsman, I would have to say the one that has a real loser of a boss.   One who doesn't know squat about drafting, one who doesn't care about drafting, let alone the draftsman.  One who makes the draftsman hate to come to work in the morning but has to to make the bills.   One who suppresses his employees just to try and make the world think he's great.  One who makes the draftsman work on an ancient PC that crashes and causes major problems simply because of it's age ...   and the boss yelling because the draftsman is incompetent.

I HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES !!!   :shock:

Craig

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 12:37:07 PM »
John has the hardest job  :D  Using ol' M-Station

Craig

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 12:39:08 PM »
Second hardest or should I say the crappiest drafting job would go to civil. I've done Architectural, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical and Civil hands down was the worst one. Sorry Mark  :cry:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 01:03:09 PM »
Well, in degree of complexity I would say manufacturing, mechanical, structural, architectural, electrical, piping and civil.
Of course the degree of complexity does not really mean difficulty if you know your field well, and if you know your program well. I have worked in a manufacturing facility where we had to know EVERY facet of production and had to provide tons of drawing to production personel for a single project, imagine a single person drafting over 150 pages of documents simply to produce a single item, never mind that the product cost 100k each, but the fact is it was tedious, time consuming, and ultimately unrewarding. So, my vote goes to manufacturing... may none of you ever experience it....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 01:07:24 PM »
In my experience, architectural comes a close second to civil. Both have waaaaaaaay too many thing to keep track of! Utilities and signs and contours and those dratted spot elevations...and doors and fixtures and furniture and lights and finishes.....gaaaah. :shock: Give me a nice, clean structural plan any day. :-)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 01:25:37 PM »
CIVIL/SURVEY BY FAR!! All of the other fields produce a "final" product that is used usually in house or by others in creating the designed item. In civil/survey I am creating the "base' product that you will then build your design upon. So I have to take great care to keep the drawing clean and uncluttered so you can clutter it up with you design. My upgrades are retarded by the software that the client is using. I can't go to 2000-what-ever if my client can't use that format. (and why loose all the new toys when you save to an older version ?) And then there's "I can't see the contours !! WHINE! WHINE!" Oh your Cheappieceo'crap 2000 pac doesn't support AEC objects ? My bad. I have to draw complex topos and utility plans keeping it as simple as possible. I can't fire up LDD3 and use all of its tool because my end users are skinflints!!
All of ya'll that are producing finishe products, no matter how complex, have it freaking made!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 01:44:19 PM »
:P
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

nivuahc

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 02:52:55 PM »
This is so obvious that it hardly needs explaining. But, not having that ever stop me before, I'll explain:

Who gets the drawings/plans last everytime? Electrical

Who gets the drawings/plans changed after 95% of their work is complete everytime? Electrical

Who gets left with the tiniest bit of the budget because they got the project last and, when they charge half of the time needed to do the job, end up blowing the budget everytime then have to face the wratch of managers and the pointy-headed geeks in the accounting department because 'You guys are always blowin' the budget!' even though they have no control whatsoever over the rest of the budget which every other department/field of engineering has squandered away leaving them with peanuts and are still expected to come in under budget which is enough stress to cause them to start using run-on sentences all of the time? Electrical

Who has to face the constant 'joke' which not only happens to be so old that it has dinosaur poop on it but it also suffers from an immense lack of creativity and originality on the tellers part about how they 'don't draw to scale' even though much of what is drawn happens to be perfectly to scale when the rest is not, only because it's done schematically? Electrical

Drafting is easy. It doesn't matter if you're drawing projects the size of the world trade center or projects so small you almost feel ashamed to be wasting an entire sheet of 8-1/2 X 11 paper on it.

Dealing with the pointy-headed management types is another thing altogether. Add to that having to deal with the rest of your 'brethren' using you as a constant butt of their poor 'jokes' and the constant target of their finger pointing when it comes to budgets and it's easy to see who has the hardest job.

Electrical

I'm not bitter though... :D

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 02:59:49 PM »
Ahe, all you guys do is draw a box with a spline arrow pointing in the direction you want the wire to go. Quit  yer complaining ya baby!

TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

nivuahc

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 03:03:17 PM »
HA! :evil: