Author Topic: AutoCAD in the browser... here we go..  (Read 2490 times)

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
AutoCAD in the browser... here we go..
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »
http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2017/04/a-taste-of-things-to-come-with-autocad.html

Initially it will be a viewer, then markup capabilities....

... then editing?

I'm curious to see how it affects the custom software market, it's hard to imagine a browser experience competing with software running locally.

Hopefully it's a useful tool for those in the field.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: AutoCAD in the browser... here we go..
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
it's hard to imagine a browser experience competing with software running locally.
At one time I would have agreed with you. :)

https://earth.google.com/web/
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
Pai seems bound and determined to ensure that the US has 3rd world internet infrastructure, and that an increasing amount of money ends up in Verizon's account for providing less service.... 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »
http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2017/04/a-taste-of-things-to-come-with-autocad.html

Initially it will be a viewer, then markup capabilities....

... then editing?

I'm curious to see how it affects the custom software market, it's hard to imagine a browser experience competing with software running locally.

Hopefully it's a useful tool for those in the field.

I cannot see editing AutoCAD files in the field. PDF's sure but actually editing the cad file...skeptical

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
If there's sufficient bandwidth/speed... why not?  whether you work on files stored on a LAN, a WAN, or local disk, the actual editing is happening on an in-memory / locally cached copy of the actual dwg.  Only Saves write back to the original.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
As cadtag indicates, good bandwidth and caching will be key.

Marking up a cad dwg in the field could be as simple as adding notes, which could certainly be useful in the field and the office. Working on a dwg instead of a PDF takes another layer of complexity out of the equation. Who knows where it will go from there. Back in the day we accessed email/communications through programs on a desktop computer. I've got friends and family members who only use a smart phone .

Google Earth is a good example, though it highlights the problem of bandwidth limiting user experience. The desktop app had the same limitations.

If you run the backend on a powerful CAD station server, then AutoCAD starts to be available to all kinds of users, with all kinds of licensing possibilities. The interface would need some work, even running CAD through an RDP connection on my local network feels like I've had one G&T too many.  :-D