Author Topic: Timer Active ONLY when AutoCAD session is ONScreen  (Read 6773 times)

ChrisSolid

Timer Active ONLY when AutoCAD session is ONScreen
« on: May 23, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »
:o Hi, I'm a brand-new member. I've been a frequent contributor to AutoDesk’s Discussion Groups, and I'm happy to be joining you all here, as well.  :) . I've been searching for a particular function, and was told by an old member in that forum to try this one; that many of the members here are pretty savvy regarding programming. Myself, I'm just an Auto LISP hack, and haven't done too much of that lately, either (why do the days get shorter as one gets older?).
  What has initially sent me here is a search for a way to get the Time function in AutoCAD (2002, at the moment) to stop running during periods when a session window is not active, and to then automatically resume once it's made active again. I usually have, say, 4 to 8 windows going on any particular day - I have to be able to jump from one project to another at the snap of the boss' fingers, and he doesn’t want to have to snap twice while I am finding a file and then reopening it (patience is not his virtue). But now, he wants official time spent on any particular design/dwg, and I don't want the idle time included. Any help would be appreciated

whdjr

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 03:29:07 PM »
Hey look you guys it's Mr. 500! :lol:  :lol:

CADaver

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 03:51:36 PM »
Well, just don't point and laugh, give the boy some help.  There I was braggin' on you guys, sent the boy over, and nobody has an answer?

daron

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:06:17 PM »
Sorry, I was waiting on Keith to get into API's with this one. I don't know why. For some reason, I get the feeling that API calls can hellp this one. I'm probably way off though. Today seems kinda slow. Give it a couple of days and maybe someone will have an answer.

ChrisSolid

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:14:22 PM »
It's an honor to be your 500th. I've always liked nice, round numbers myself. My Camaro just turned a nice, round 100K mi. And it's only 5 yrs old (heh, heh, sob). I think I already like this forum better than AutoCAD's discussions groups, even if you DO have Cadaver as a member ;). Well, now you have me, which is even worse. I promise not to get into any long, protracted and stupid arguments with him like I do over there, fun though it is sometimes. Just go over to the AutoCAD Discussion groups and look for the l-o-n-g-e-s-t threads, and they will be Cad (he calls himself Old Cadaver over there) and me belaboredly going at it, tit for tat (he can't not have the last word, nor can I). But I thank him for steering me this way. I also hope to be able to add my own meager contributions here, too - been cadding for about 12 yrs or so now - my main strength is (as my handle might suggest) solids work, although I really don't get to do a whole lot for my job (boss feels it's too time-consuming to do everything that way, and I think he's probably right in some instances). But I LOVE the challange. OK, enough rambling - this has just sort of been my "hello, everybody" ramble. The quote below is Robert Frost, by the way - I should have put a credit at the bottom.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 03:45:14 PM »
Welcome to the swamp :)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 03:56:59 PM »
Quote from: ChrisSolid
... I think I already like this forum better than AutoCAD's discussions groups, even if you DO have Cadaver as a member ;).
I'm not only a member, but a moderator over here... heh, heh, heh... so watch it bub  :wink: anyway, I think you'll like it just fine around here, not only is it a little more "laid back", there are some of the finest programming talent living here as you will find anywhere.

... I promise not to get into any long, protracted and stupid arguments with him like I do over there,...
phooey, had I known you were gonna be THAT way, I'd have left you "over there".

... But I thank him for steering me this way.
Don't thank me just yet, you haven't met Dent.

...  this has just sort of been my "hello, everybody" ramble.
IN the "News" forum we have a "Break the Ice thread HERE where new folks can expound to their heart's content, maybe even post a picture.  Welcome aboard.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 07:00:27 PM »
Chris,

Why don't you use the EDITTIME command from the express tools?

You can specify the period of inactivity, in minutes. When the timeout period expires, the timer automatically suspends timing.

edittime.arx also contains the following LISP functions:
(acet-edittime-enable [onOff]) Sets current state if onOff supplied. Returns current state.
(acet-edittime-reset) Resets elapsed time value to zero.
(acet-edittime-total) Returns current elapsed time total (Julian time).
(acet-edittime-timeout [value]) Sets current timeout value if supplied (Julian time). Returns current timeut value.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

ChrisSolid

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 02:08:04 PM »
Hi, `Crank' -
I know -unfortunately, I don't have that version of Express Tools. I think mine is the 1st release.

ChrisSolid

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
... I think I already like this forum better than AutoCAD's discussions groups, even if you DO have Cadaver as a member ;).
I'm not only a member, but a moderator over here... heh, heh, heh... so watch it bub  :wink: anyway, I think you'll like it just fine around here, not only is it a little more "laid back", there are some of the finest programming talent living here as you will find anywhere.

... I promise not to get into any long, protracted and stupid arguments with him like I do over there,...

IN the "News" forum we have a "Break the Ice thread HERE where new folks can expound to their heart's content, maybe even post a picture.  Welcome aboard.

OK, how do you work this thing? Your individual responses to excerpted quotes of mine looks way cooler at this site than "over there" - is that what that little "quote" button is for?

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 02:50:29 PM »
like this
Code: [Select]
[quote]this is a quote [/quote]

or click on this button
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/dubb/quote.jpg

btw...welcome to theswamp.org

ChrisSolid

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 03:06:40 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp
Welcome to the swamp :)

-Thanks. This place seems a lot less stuffy than over at AutoDesk's Discussion Groups. Humor is strictly verboten over there, it seems. Zero fun factor over there. :rip:

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 03:32:01 PM »
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but it's all I have at the moment. :roll:

What if you ran a simple lisp routine upon entering/leaving a drawing. Log that time & date into a ascii file for later consumption. Maybe even tie it to the QSAVE command.

BTW, welcome to theswamp!!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

ChrisSolid

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 09:15:10 AM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but it's all I have at the moment. :roll:

What if you ran a simple lisp routine upon entering/leaving a drawing. Log that time & date into a ascii file for later consumption. Maybe even tie it to the QSAVE command.

BTW, welcome to theswamp!!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
The thing is, I don't know how (if it's even possible with LISP) to detect that an active window has been made inactive. Just going by the timer, it seems that AutoCAD does not discern between active, and not active, since the timer keeps running in the background -which is my whole problem. :|

ChrisSolid

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 09:18:46 AM »
Quote from: CADaver

OK, how do you work this thing? Your individual responses to excerpted quotes of mine looks way cooler at this site than "over there" - is that what that little "quote" button is for?

-Never mind, I figured out the quotes thing. Highlight 1st, then click Quote