Author Topic: Mulit-Batch to .pdf  (Read 2332 times)

craigr

Mulit-Batch to .pdf
« on: May 20, 2005, 12:43:03 PM »
I have the product called 'Multi-Batch' that I use for my multiple scripts.

I bought it initially just for plotting. - It works GREAT for plotting to printer / plotter.

I now want to plot to Acrobat PDFWriter.

I have a macro / icon set up in my AutoCad so that all I have to do is click the icon, it asks for a file name & location for new file, then it prints it to a .pdf once I click on the 'Save' button in the dialog box from Acrobat. - (It defaults to 'Desktop' for the location.)

I have a couple of questions about this -

1. How do I write the script so that it skips the Acrobat dialog box and just does the save without my intervention?

2. How do I set the destination of the new .pdfs?

craigr

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
Mulit-Batch to .pdf
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:12:05 PM »
Unless your client specifically needs a pdf file I would plot to a dwf. With the sheet set manager in 2005, a you are able to do a multi-page dwf or  individual dwf files.
We use the sheet set manager to print all our final plans as a muti-page dwf (one file ). A set of plans may contain 50 to 200 dwgs.
We then distribute the dwf to the client so that he can review the final drawings.
We prefer the 'DWF' over 'PDF' for a few good reasons. (ie. Autodesk Support and ease of use with autocad, file size, the ability to add comments and have them loaded into autocad).
I have made it a standard to send all drawings out the clients in this format, with a link to autodesk’s web site where one can download the dwf viewer for free.  I am hoping ‘DWF’ will become the standard form of communication to and from our office with the cliental.

You could also set up your pages that you need plotted to the PDF plotter. Then use the sheet set manager and plot to the 'default plotter as specified' in the drawings. We use this method to produce ‘plt’ file which we sent to our reproduction company.

Both methods mentioned above are quick and easy and you can save the configuration so you can reproduce the file again and again.

Hope my suggestions help!
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

M-dub

Mulit-Batch to .pdf
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 02:25:28 PM »

Deselect "Prompt for Adobe PDF Filename" for one, Not sure about setting the default location though...

craigr

Mulit-Batch to .pdf
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 02:54:04 PM »
Alas, 'prompt for file name' does not appear in the  'Acrobat PDFWriter' driver.  I found it in the 'Acrobat Distiller' driver, but Distiller has NEVER worked for me. It always errors out :(

Perhaps there is no fix for this if I am going to use 'Acrobat PDFWriter'.

Thanks anyway :cry:

craigr

pmvliet

Mulit-Batch to .pdf
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 02:56:43 PM »
Does LT for 2005 have the publish command?
If so, do you have a PDF.PC3 file that lets you create PDF's?

If you go to Publish, under the puclish options tab,
there is a Default output directory for DWF's and plot-to-file.
You can then set this to your distiller "in box"

It is actually pretty nice.

Pieter

AVCAD

Mulit-Batch to .pdf
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 02:13:18 PM »
I just use make plot files using Script pro, then I have a a program called ViewCompanion pro that will batch convert the plt files to PDF.

Extra step in making the plt files but it works and I havent had a problem with it.

Not to mention that the PDF printer needs to be resetup everytime you get the new version of Acrobat.