Author Topic: Profile Help  (Read 2647 times)

david

Profile Help
« on: May 18, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »
I have created alot of custom tool buttons but, when I save my profile then reload it on another computer I lose the custom stuff. How can I save the custom stuff as well. Thanks for the replies.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Profile Help
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:44:45 PM »
It is likely because you are saving the customizations to a local menu file. If you want to have a portable profile that also has your custom toolbars and menu items, the customized menu will need to be in a location accessable by all computers.

I would suggest locating your customized MNS file on the system where you did the customizing, move it to a location on your server that is accessable by all of your computers (likely where the profile is saved) and point the menu location in the profile to the mns on the server. It is also a smart thing to use the UNC path instead of a mapped path because different computers may have different drive mappings....

The location would be something like:

\\Server\C\Misc\Profiles\ .....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

david

Profile Help
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:26:07 PM »
Thanks Keith, I'll give it a shot.

M-dub

Profile Help
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 09:41:05 AM »
...And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep a back-up in a remote location.

ML

Profile Help
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 01:50:58 PM »
Keith

I believe that profiles may hold registry data as well. With my experience, profiles never worked very well from machine to machine. They are great if you save them locally to use on your machine

Mark

CADaver

Profile Help
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 01:58:22 PM »
We use profiles from machine to machine with great regularity and success.  You just have to know what they do and don't do.  They will not carray a menu with them, but if the menu is shared over a network, as ours are, a profile works just fine to make sure everybody is on the same page.

Follow Keith's instructions for menu placement, and your profile will become extremely portable throughout the network.

I export all my profiles to a network directory along with their associated Desktop icons.  Any user then simply copies the icon to their desktop, and pull the trigger on it.  It will then call a specific profile and execute it's requirements.