Author Topic: R2006 Tips for Upgrading  (Read 3029 times)

Wyatt Earp

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« on: May 17, 2005, 02:17:57 PM »
Hi,

Just wanted to get a thread started that discussed the upgrade from R200* to R2006.

Things to post here would be Sysvar's, links to XML editors and any little thing you've stumbed across.

I have a growing list and will complie as time permits.

Cheers

CADaver

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:53:11 PM »
I'm waiting to hear this one.  My R2006 was waiting for me last night when I got home.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
I used XmlSpy a fair amount 4 years ago and it was great.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Wyatt Earp

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:59:01 PM »
Huh?
What's there to hear?

I'm reading all kinds of things from different sources and I find it weird that AutoDESK hasn't put out a paper on it yet as it looks kind of weird. I haven't performed my upgrade yet but i've played with it a bit.

CADaver

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »
Quote from: Wyatt Earp
Huh?
What's there to hear?
I have roughly 25 heavily customized menus in R2002 that will need transportation into CUI format, and I'm wondering just how big a hole has been shot in my foot.

Wyatt Earp

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 04:52:57 PM »
I'm the same way and I'm going to say BIG.

nivuahc

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:16:33 PM »
HUGE

t-bear

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:29:32 PM »
Oh boy....here I go again!

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:05:14 AM »
I have roughly 25 heavily customized menus in R2002 that will need transportation into CUI format, and I'm wondering just how big a hole has been shot in my foot.

Cadaver,

I just did a menuload in 2006 with my custom.mns and it ported it over to a cui file. from what I can see, everything is working fine.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Wyatt Earp

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 11:12:54 AM »
It might work ok, but from what i've read so far it depends on which order you import them, it depends on which order they are listed - esp. if you are working on a network as i am. also note that again from what i've read once you make the transformation you can't get it back so make a backup first.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 11:16:34 AM »
also note that again from what i've read once you make the transformation you can't get it back so make a backup first.

When I menuloaded it did not overwrite my mns, it made another file with the same name but with a cui extension. :?:

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

ML

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 11:51:05 AM »
The big difference besides all of the aforementioned in 2006 is that there is now Enterprise and Main paths that need to be set.

If you are sharing a company cui file on a shared network, path all users to it as Enterprise.

If you manage the company cui, path to it as Main, so that you can customize it.

Mark

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 12:26:16 PM »
I just loaded mine in using menuload and it came across fine.  I kept my mns file and I make updates to it and just reload it like i used to.  I HATE the new cui editor.  Dont be fooled by its simplacy, it SUCKS!  In a nutshell, I had a toolbar with 2 of the same images, but they had different macros. (Think Plot FullSize and HalfSize).  I went in to edit 1 of the macros, and because the picture was the exact same, it changed the second macro to match the first.  Well, isn't that just great! So I logged the problem w/ Autodork, and the response I got was "Its functioning the way it was designed".  Needless to say, I told the tech at Autodork that was about the biggest, worthless improvement to 2006 I had come across.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

ML

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 03:14:14 PM »
Hey CM

When we first got it here, I felt the same way that you do but I have a good grasp on it now. If you have any questions, just ask or PM me.

A few tips:
 If you update the company menu, make 2  profiles, one with
acad.cui as main and the company.cui file as enterprise.
The second one, just reverse it. Company as main, acad as enterprise.

Also, your workspace is a key factor. Select the option, do not save changes to Workspace, it can be a pain in the *. If you make a workspace change, you the pulldown, saveas and overwrite the old one.

Mark

ML

R2006 Tips for Upgrading
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 04:34:44 PM »
CM

You don't want to do it that way.
After you menu(cui)load your mns file, you need to create a workspace so that you can customize it.

Well, if you keep menuloading over and over, you will overwrite the cui file and workspace each time.

In the cui editor, you can probably load the mns (converts to cui) and transfer the changes to the existing cui file. If that works, I would suggest that approach over the constant menuload approach

Mark