Author Topic: Code Camp Seminar  (Read 8228 times)

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« on: May 16, 2005, 04:28:47 PM »
Hello fellow swamp creatures,

I had a friend mention to me today that there is a pretty good demand for LISP training, but it is hard to find anywhere except maybe at the AU conference or on the discussion groups. Someone mentioned that it would be really cool to have a training session that was economical and personalized with a small group of lisp programmers who want to expand their skills and really utilize Visual LISP/VBA for AutoCAD.

I have been kicking around an idea of a "Code Camp" kinda like a small CAD Camp like AUGI has been doing.

Maybe 20 people who want to spend a couple days in a CAD lab really learning how to program VisualLISP with a little VBa mixed in.

I would be interested in hearing from you if you would be interested. The venue would be just north of Chicago maybe in August and the cost would be ~$200 for a two day seminar, plus room, board, and transportation.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

CADaver

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:36:21 PM »
hmmm... sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but why spend all that money, when we have some of the very best lispers in the world giving free lessons right here every day??

daron

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 04:37:21 PM »
I could do North of Chicago, but $200, I don't know. Have fun though. I hope you have a good turn out... Re-read. How much for just the seminar? Room, board, don't think I'd need. Transportation, I got covered.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 04:53:34 PM »
Genuine wishes that the endeavor works well for you; If you're good and you can deliver the content power to ya bro; heck, I wouldn't mind a gig like that myself.

PS - I would suggest ditching comparisons to AUGI, it has zero credibility with me.

My 2¢.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 04:56:04 PM »
To use the facility fees, insurance, and etc..., plus the cost of the instructors TA's, it would probably include the lunch buffet...

OK $200 for training to me sounds cheap. You will have two 10 hour days of training. What does your local Autodesk reseller charge for a day of training? I know they don't charge $100 a day.

Also there are things you can do in a class that you cannot do here. I try to help people learn lisp everyday and I know if I could only show them, rather than have to type everything I could teach sooo much more.

AU is $1300 dollars for 4 days (including a few meals and room). and you are only one person in a huge group 4000 attendees. As compared to a small group of 20 people, and I was going to invite a few big guns (total experts) to help out and present. It would be very worth $200 bucks.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

nivuahc

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »
Peter, I think it's a wonderful idea and I hope it all works out well for you and anyone who takes part. There's nothing else quite like hands-on training. And $200 is very reasonable, compared to some of the brochures I've had come across my desk.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 05:26:12 PM »
1200 a day for group training.  20 people @ 100 a day is 2000 so the rate is high. (I used to be a reseller)
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:29:14 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc
There's nothing else quite like hands-on training.

I agree totally.  While LISP, and pretty much anything else, can be learned on ones own, learning is increased exponentially when someone can explain and answer questions on the spot.

nivuahc

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
I've had offers come across my desk that ranged from $400 for 2 days to $2,700 for 3.

So $200 is very reasonable as far as I see it.

And I went to a $1200 "group training" session once. I ended up teaching the instructor... he kept getting things completely wrong. My company ended up asking for a refund and ended up getting half off because the instructor was so lost. This was back when AutoCAD R14 first came out.

If the people who will be teaching are good, solid instructors... $200 is plenty reasonable.

David Hall

• King Gator
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:14 PM »

And I went to a $1200 "group training" session once. I ended up teaching the instructor.

I too have been to that kind of training.  I feel for the guy who is up there flustered and lost.  I quit using Autodesk's canned demos b/c half the time they didn't work anyway.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »
Quote from: CmdrDuh
1200 a day for group training.  20 people @ 100 a day is 2000 so the rate is high. (I used to be a reseller)

Maybe one instructor, I was planning on 4 to offer training to the individuals levels. Also I was going to try to import a couple top gun programmers to add to the presentation.

I wasn't planning an making anything on it. If I broke even of made up to ~$500 total I would be happy.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

David Hall

• King Gator
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 05:50:14 PM »
4 instructers?  That is completely different story.

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 06:00:51 PM »
If the people who will be teaching are good, solid instructors... $200 is plenty reasonable.

I would consider myself somewhat of an exprert LISP programmer. I you might not know that because I don't post to this forum everyday, but if you would like to see some of my code I would be happy to share. I would do my very best to recruit the best instructors I could find, and I know some of the best. Of course schedules, availability, all that would determine who would come. It is also not that far off, so I would have to really work fast to recruit them.

SMadsen

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 06:30:12 PM »
Sounds like a great initiative, Peter. Good luck with it.

nivuahc

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 06:35:14 PM »
Quote from: Peter Jamtgaard
...you might not know that because I don't post to this forum everyday, but if you would like to see some of my code I would be happy to share.

By all means, Peter, please post more often then. One of the best feelings I know, when it comes to AutoCAD or LISP, is when I can help someone learn something. If you've got a wealth of knowledge and ability, why not share it with everyone else here? None of us takes the same approach to any given problem and it's always benificial to see how someone else might do it.

Anyway, I think it's a wonderful idea. If I lived nearby I might consider trying to convince my boss to pay for me to go :)

Best of luck!

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 07:24:23 PM »
Hope you get a good turn out Peter.

Goes looking for passport
 .. though 23 hours in a plane seat is a litle much ...  :)
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 07:26:18 PM »
Quote from: Kerry Brown
... though 23 hours in a plane seat is a litle much ...  :)

Go the opposite direction -- it would only be an hour.

:lol:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
heh, that might work too ..

oh, wait, ...
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

daron

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 09:20:19 AM »
Quote from: CmdrDuh

And I went to a $1200 "group training" session once. I ended up teaching the instructor.

I too have been to that kind of training.  I feel for the guy who is up there flustered and lost.  I quit using Autodesk's canned demos b/c half the time they didn't work anyway.

I was in one of those too. I also ended up teaching the teacher and later, he offered me a job. I didn't take it. I had people during break asking me questions.

--------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know, Peter is one of the guys who teaches at AU. I feel that he has a great deal of knowledge in what he is offering to teach and I believe Stig can vouche for the guy too.

-------------------------------------------------------

Peter, I know it would be pretty tough to get some of the Swamp's big guns to help you, like Stig, but if you look around a little bit, MP (Michael Puckett) is one heavy hitter.

Just a thought.

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
Quote from: Daron

Peter, I know it would be pretty tough to get some of the Swamp's big guns to help you, like Stig, but if you look around a little bit, MP (Michael Puckett) is one heavy hitter.
Just a thought.

I was considering asking Stig, but Denmark is a little far for a weekend seminar.

I sent an email to a couple friends of mine: Bill Kramer and John Gibb, maybe I can get some other "big guns" that would attract the programmers.

In order to make this work I would want to get at least 4 presenters, I was thinking of Bob Bell too, but I haven't contacted him yet either.

So far I have only heard of ~10 people who are definitely interested. I would need at least 20 to contract the speakers.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

SMadsen

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 09:50:40 AM »
Quote from: Daron
... and I believe Stig can vouche for the guy too.

Absolutely .. anytime  :)

As for helping out .. well, would love to but I can't speak your language, only write it  :roll:

SMadsen

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 09:56:34 AM »
What'd you mean Denmark is far away? It's only a 16 hour ride!  Oh yeah, and a $500 ride, too :D

Thanks for the consideration, Peter. It would indeed be a grand company to be placed amongst.

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 09:01:43 AM »
Well it seems that this seminar (mini conference) might actually become a reality. I have been given the nod from the school to use the labs and have had two potential lectures give the tenative ok.

I think this is going to be really cool. Maybe I can get stig to TA?

Would you consider coming Stig?

We might be able to help with the travel (if we get enough participants).

Peter

SMadsen

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 09:11:26 AM »
Thank you for asking, Peter. Appreciate it very much. August is usually a busy month here, so I doubt the time and of course the finances will allow it.

Thanks again, though.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 09:59:56 AM »
Well i think this camp is a great idea.

Stig, im gonna TRY to make it to this. IF the stars and planets align and you do end up making it to this endevor, I will buy you ONE beer of YOUR chioce. *Se7en whispers: under three dollars.*
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

SMadsen

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 10:05:04 AM »
Oh that is very tempting!  :lol:

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 10:08:22 AM »
Code: [Select]
(defun Payback ( / square print base)
  (defun square (n) (* n n) )
  (defun print (x) (princ x) )
  (setq base '(1 . 3))
  ((lambda (x)
     (print "\nI will buy ")
     (print (square (car x)))
     (print " beer for SMadsen.  ...under ")
     (print (cdr x))
     (print " dollars.")) base )
  (princ)
 )

Donate to TheSwamp.org

whdjr

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 11:19:04 AM »
Quote from: Se7en
... I will buy you ONE beer of YOUR chioce. *Se7en whispers: under three dollars.*

Cheap skate! :lol:

:arrowd:

Quote from: Dictionary.com
cheap skate

A stingy person, as in He's a real cheap skate when it comes to tipping. This idiom combines cheap (for "penurious") with the slang usage of skate for a contemptible or low individual. It has largely replaced the earlier cheap John. [Slang; late 1800s]

CottageCGirl

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »
Great idea, but I dont even get to see my projects, forget about flying CT to IL for training (we dont even get in-house) This is why I love the Swamp

want to come to Danbury?

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 02:29:50 PM »
Quote from: whdjr
Cheap skate! :lol:

Code: [Select]

(defun Cheepskate?! ( / print)
   (defun print (x) (princ x) )
  (set 'base '((lambda () (print 0))))
  ((lambda ()
     (print "\nHey I'm a broke man. In fact I have ")
     ((lambda ()
        (princ ((lambda () (eval base))))))))
  (print " many dollars!")
  ((lambda () (setq base '()) (princ))))

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2005, 03:06:15 PM »
Group

Just to let you know.

I wasn't able to secure commitments from the other instructors, or sponsors in a timely matter to move forward with the seminar.

I would still like to do it but it may take some more pre-planning to put it all together.

So, unfortunately I am unable to put it on this August, but I think we should do it next year.

I will do some networking during AU this year and hopefully get a sponsor to commit, and maybe some speakers too.

I will keep you on the list and keep you informed as plans are put together.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.
www.waun.org

dubb

• Swamp Rat
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2005, 04:28:13 PM »
any idea where this seminar will be held at?..how about the mid US?

LE

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2005, 10:48:25 PM »
Is this was intended for beginners? and only two days?... 20+ hours?, you need to provide more details.

There is a lot info about auto/visual lisp now and vba... for free; I know, a class for this programming language(s) has to be very good in order to compete with all the stuff out there as open-source.

Good luck.

adalea03

Re: Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 12:49:54 AM »
Peter,
Your offer is generous at the very least. Perhaps even philanthropic.
I suspect that the reason many come to the lisp forums may be that there are few other options.
Nonetheless, the type of seminar you offer will always provide better and longer lasting results.
So, if you can pull this together, count me in. Good luck.

Furthermore, a word to the young of our community, if I may:
  "Opportunity has knocked"
   Invest in yourself, the $200 will seem a pittance a year from now, when you've added
    these new strings to your bow, and developed routines like the masters here or other similar sites. You will be happy to do it again; but it may not be offered again.