Author Topic: Code Camp Seminar  (Read 8219 times)

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« on: May 16, 2005, 04:28:47 PM »
Hello fellow swamp creatures,

I had a friend mention to me today that there is a pretty good demand for LISP training, but it is hard to find anywhere except maybe at the AU conference or on the discussion groups. Someone mentioned that it would be really cool to have a training session that was economical and personalized with a small group of lisp programmers who want to expand their skills and really utilize Visual LISP/VBA for AutoCAD.

I have been kicking around an idea of a "Code Camp" kinda like a small CAD Camp like AUGI has been doing.

Maybe 20 people who want to spend a couple days in a CAD lab really learning how to program VisualLISP with a little VBa mixed in.

I would be interested in hearing from you if you would be interested. The venue would be just north of Chicago maybe in August and the cost would be ~$200 for a two day seminar, plus room, board, and transportation.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

CADaver

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:36:21 PM »
hmmm... sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but why spend all that money, when we have some of the very best lispers in the world giving free lessons right here every day??

daron

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 04:37:21 PM »
I could do North of Chicago, but $200, I don't know. Have fun though. I hope you have a good turn out... Re-read. How much for just the seminar? Room, board, don't think I'd need. Transportation, I got covered.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 04:53:34 PM »
Genuine wishes that the endeavor works well for you; If you're good and you can deliver the content power to ya bro; heck, I wouldn't mind a gig like that myself.

PS - I would suggest ditching comparisons to AUGI, it has zero credibility with me.

My 2¢.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 04:56:04 PM »
To use the facility fees, insurance, and etc..., plus the cost of the instructors TA's, it would probably include the lunch buffet...

OK $200 for training to me sounds cheap. You will have two 10 hour days of training. What does your local Autodesk reseller charge for a day of training? I know they don't charge $100 a day.

Also there are things you can do in a class that you cannot do here. I try to help people learn lisp everyday and I know if I could only show them, rather than have to type everything I could teach sooo much more.

AU is $1300 dollars for 4 days (including a few meals and room). and you are only one person in a huge group 4000 attendees. As compared to a small group of 20 people, and I was going to invite a few big guns (total experts) to help out and present. It would be very worth $200 bucks.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

nivuahc

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »
Peter, I think it's a wonderful idea and I hope it all works out well for you and anyone who takes part. There's nothing else quite like hands-on training. And $200 is very reasonable, compared to some of the brochures I've had come across my desk.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 05:26:12 PM »
1200 a day for group training.  20 people @ 100 a day is 2000 so the rate is high. (I used to be a reseller)
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:29:14 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc
There's nothing else quite like hands-on training.

I agree totally.  While LISP, and pretty much anything else, can be learned on ones own, learning is increased exponentially when someone can explain and answer questions on the spot.

nivuahc

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
I've had offers come across my desk that ranged from $400 for 2 days to $2,700 for 3.

So $200 is very reasonable as far as I see it.

And I went to a $1200 "group training" session once. I ended up teaching the instructor... he kept getting things completely wrong. My company ended up asking for a refund and ended up getting half off because the instructor was so lost. This was back when AutoCAD R14 first came out.

If the people who will be teaching are good, solid instructors... $200 is plenty reasonable.

David Hall

• King Gator
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:14 PM »

And I went to a $1200 "group training" session once. I ended up teaching the instructor.

I too have been to that kind of training.  I feel for the guy who is up there flustered and lost.  I quit using Autodesk's canned demos b/c half the time they didn't work anyway.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »
Quote from: CmdrDuh
1200 a day for group training.  20 people @ 100 a day is 2000 so the rate is high. (I used to be a reseller)

Maybe one instructor, I was planning on 4 to offer training to the individuals levels. Also I was going to try to import a couple top gun programmers to add to the presentation.

I wasn't planning an making anything on it. If I broke even of made up to ~$500 total I would be happy.

Peter Jamtgaard P.E.

David Hall

• King Gator
Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 05:50:14 PM »
4 instructers?  That is completely different story.

Peter Jamtgaard

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 06:00:51 PM »
If the people who will be teaching are good, solid instructors... $200 is plenty reasonable.

I would consider myself somewhat of an exprert LISP programmer. I you might not know that because I don't post to this forum everyday, but if you would like to see some of my code I would be happy to share. I would do my very best to recruit the best instructors I could find, and I know some of the best. Of course schedules, availability, all that would determine who would come. It is also not that far off, so I would have to really work fast to recruit them.

SMadsen

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 06:30:12 PM »
Sounds like a great initiative, Peter. Good luck with it.

nivuahc

Code Camp Seminar
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 06:35:14 PM »
Quote from: Peter Jamtgaard
...you might not know that because I don't post to this forum everyday, but if you would like to see some of my code I would be happy to share.

By all means, Peter, please post more often then. One of the best feelings I know, when it comes to AutoCAD or LISP, is when I can help someone learn something. If you've got a wealth of knowledge and ability, why not share it with everyone else here? None of us takes the same approach to any given problem and it's always benificial to see how someone else might do it.

Anyway, I think it's a wonderful idea. If I lived nearby I might consider trying to convince my boss to pay for me to go :)

Best of luck!