Author Topic: VLIDE wishes  (Read 1916 times)

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
VLIDE wishes
« on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:22 AM »
I wish that VLIDE can inspect complex expressions...
I wish that VLIDE can step backward, removing what was stored in last evaluation from memory...
I wish that VLIDE can do stepping backward in animate mode undoing evaluations from memory while animating...

What do you think, is this possible to be achieved in the future?...
I know that then I shouldn't waste my time so long and I am sure it will be beneficial to all programmers...

M.R.
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: VLIDE wishes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »
I wish that VLIDE can inspect complex expressions...
How do you mean? The inspect tool can already evaluate any lisp syntax, not just variables. As can the Watch tool. Just enter whatever you wish to inspect/watch into the dialog, including the ( and ) as you'd have typed it into the REPL / source file.

As for the others being able to step backwards ... good luck with that. I've not seen many (or rather any) IDEs in any language which can do this. I know "why" you'd want them ... i.e. after stepping through multiple statements you notice something, but you've already moved beyond where it happened.

In this case breakpoints is your best friend. I.e. once you've noticed it, set a breakpoint before the point you think you wanted. Stop evaluation and restart it without stepping - then it runs as full speed all the way to the breakpoint, starting to step there.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:13:55 AM »
Ahhh ... guessing game time.

Not without the source code.
I had heard that the IDE was written in Vital Lisp and Compiles into ARX ( yes, we were able to do that)
I had heard that very few people actually understood how the IDE works exactly.

Unfortunately it's not just a matter of having a great user interface, it has to plug-in to the beast.

Perhaps if I won the lottery ....
or found enough people to crowdFund a re-write.

... but yes, it would be nice to have a decent editor.

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:32:03 AM »
It's a nice wish but I don't think it's realistic to think Autodesk would ever put in the R&D required to make your vision come to fruition -- after all, they've let the product languish ever since acquiring it from BASIS (after initially crippling it). Very frustrating to original owners of the great BASIS product.

I've long since gave up caring -- I don't use it because there are numerous better IDEs and I've written my own inspection tools.

All said -- if (open source) third parties had the know how and passion to create such a product (and had long term solvency) I'd be genuinely interested.

tl;dr: take my money.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

danallen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I've long since gave up caring -- I don't use it because there are numerous better IDEs and I've written my own inspection tools.

what IDEs are there? (I wish Bricscad had a VLIDE)
or do you mean text editors with bells & whistles?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Yeah sorry -- bleary eyed insomnia post -- I meant robust, syntax and project based text editors.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst