Author Topic: Having an issue with unsatisfied constraints  (Read 2359 times)

Barry Clark

• Mosquito
Having an issue with unsatisfied constraints
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »
My old account was seemingly deleted. I guess my annual activity wasn't enough to avoid an inactive user cull. :)

Anyways, I just got my head wrapped around lookup tables. In the Family Types editor, all of the parameters are changing as I want them to. However, when I try to tie one of the properties for Actual OD (CapOD) to the diameter of the cylinder, I get an unsatisfied constraint warning (id 3093). For the life, of me, I can't figure what is going on.

It is a simple fitting: cap. I figured starting simply was the best way.

I am sure it is something simple that I am just missing.

Thanks!
Revit MEP 2016
Revit 2017

rvhwlc

• Newt
Re: Having an issue with unsatisfied constraints
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:11:05 AM »
the dimension is not properly placed. try not ever constraining geometry, but the sketch. Delete the dimension, edit the extrusion and place a diameter dimension to the sketch itself.. .now you can associate the parameter to the dimension and it will work

Barry Clark

• Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
the dimension is not properly placed. try not ever constraining geometry, but the sketch. Delete the dimension, edit the extrusion and place a diameter dimension to the sketch itself.. .now you can associate the parameter to the dimension and it will work

Thanks a ton for the response. I believe I follow. To be sure:

Make a circle as opposed to just making an extrusion based on a circle and generate a sweep based on that circle. Then dimension the circle but NOT the resulting sweep. Correct?
Revit MEP 2016
Revit 2017

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »

Make a circle as opposed to just making an extrusion based on a circle and generate a sweep based on that circle. Then dimension the circle but NOT the resulting sweep. Correct?
no this is too much work. simply click the extrusion and click edit... the sketch that drives the extrusion, this is what you apply a dimension to.

Barry Clark

• Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »

no this is too much work. simply click the extrusion and click edit... the sketch that drives the extrusion, this is what you apply a dimension to.
I believe I follow. I will give that a shot! Thanks!
Revit MEP 2016
Revit 2017

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 03:12:17 PM »
if you follow, it will work. i tested with your file to make sure..

Barry Clark

• Mosquito
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
if you follow, it will work. i tested with your file to make sure..
I did and it did. Thanks a ton. That has been driving me nuts!
Revit MEP 2016
Revit 2017

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:08:16 AM »
Always constrain reference planes and sketches and let THAT drive how the the geometry and model flexes.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Barry Clark

• Mosquito
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 08:44:24 PM »
Always constrain reference planes and sketches and let THAT drive how the the geometry and model flexes.
Thanks much! That's what I have going on with a more advanced part I am building now. :)

I do prefer working with reference planes. :D
Revit MEP 2016
Revit 2017

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 11:49:33 PM »
Thanks much! That's what I have going on with a more advanced part I am building now. :)

reference planes is a requirement not a preference mayhem is right always use planes

Barry Clark

• Mosquito
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 04:50:06 PM »

reference planes is a requirement not a preference mayhem is right always use planes
Indeed. I wasn't being very clear. Was meaning to say that I rather enjoy using them.
Revit MEP 2016
Revit 2017