Author Topic: XREF MANAGER  (Read 4003 times)

scndyr

XREF MANAGER
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:23:53 PM »
I am using AutCAD 2004.
I am having a problem with xref manager. I have inserted an xref into a drawing and it does not seem to take the reload command. I have tried everything that I know of and that is:
Saving drawing then going to manager and reloading,
Going back to drawing and then checking manager without doing anything to drawing and manager is asking me to reload.
saving drawing reloading xref then closing program, Restarting AutoCaD 2004 opening drawing and xref ask's me to update right away
Can some one help me with this (please). :?

daron

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:25:10 AM »
I feel you might get better responses to your question if it's in a General Cad forum. I don't feel that the ADT forum gets as much traffic and this topic doesn't seem like it requires the need of ADT. If I'm wrong, let me know. I'll move it back.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
XREF MANAGER
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:33:49 AM »
Do you have both open at the same time?  If so, do you have a very short save time in autosave?  It could be  your machine is saving the drawing and you dont know it.  Then it tells you to reload.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

scndyr

ok thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:49:04 PM »
thanks will reply there then. :oops:

scndyr

found the answer Thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »
I was on 2 different computers and the save path is not the same so I have to save path when I use a different computer. Thanks for your interest.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
XREF MANAGER
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:36:08 AM »
If you are making color changes to the xref check to see what visretain is set to. If it is set to 1, the changes will only show if you change color by entity and not be layer.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

nivuahc

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 11:47:50 AM »
Also, if you have the xref layer set in your drawing to, say, blue but you change it in the actual reference to, say, yellow, that change won't show up in your drawing (which is silly, I think). Whenever I have to make changes to an xref that someone else setup (usually incorrectly) I find it's easier for me to note the insert point of the xref, detach it, save the drawing, close it, open it again, and re-insert the xref. When you work with architectural drawings that have 100+ layers in them (why?) it's a lot easier than going through the layer dialog and changing the colors to what they should be. I should probably write a routine to take care of that. Now that I've actually typed it out, it seems like an awful lot of work.

CADaver

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
Quote from: nivuahc
Also, if you have the xref layer set in your drawing to, say, blue but you change it in the actual reference to, say, yellow, that change won't show up in your drawing (which is silly, I think).
well that depends on how you're using it, and the setting of VISRETAIN.

Whenever I have to make changes to an xref that someone else setup (usually incorrectly) I find it's easier for me to note the insert point of the xref, detach it, save the drawing, close it, open it again, and re-insert the xref.
It's a load easier to change visretain, close the file then reopen.

When you work with architectural drawings that have 100+ layers in them (why?) it's a lot easier than going through the layer dialog and changing the colors to what they should be. I should probably write a routine to take care of that. Now that I've actually typed it out, it seems like an awful lot of work.
dunno dood, VISRETAIN, is real easy.

Kate M

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 12:37:45 PM »
Quote from: CADaver

Even quicker -- you don't have to close the file, you can just reload the xref...

CADaver

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 12:54:32 PM »
Quote from: Kate M

Even quicker -- you don't have to close the file, you can just reload the xref...
cool, that doesn't work on my R2002

Crank

• Water Moccasin
XREF MANAGER
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:19 PM »

Are you sure?

Try again: It should have to work. (visretain=0 > Reload XREF)
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

CADaver

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 02:20:31 PM »
Quote from: Crank

Are you sure?

Try again: It should have to work. (visretain=0 > Reload XREF)
Tried it just before my last post. no go.  I have to exit that drawing and re-open.  ACADVER=15.03

nivuahc

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 04:30:48 PM »
So let me get this straight... you're saying I should just change VISRETAIN?

Is that what you're saying Randy?

:P

CADaver

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
So let me get this straight... you're saying I should just change VISRETAIN?

Is that what you're saying Randy?

:P
ummm... yes, you don't have to detach and reattach the file to get the layer settings to match the original settings, just turn off VISRETAIN.

nivuahc

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 04:48:52 PM »
So... VISRETAIN is it?

You know, I think I've used VISRETAIN... maybe 2 times in my life.

See what happens when you get stuck in the one-way mindset?

CADaver

XREF MANAGER
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 04:52:58 PM »
So... VISRETAIN is it?
You know, I think I've used VISRETAIN... maybe 2 times in my life.
that's it, and if you have a later version of the software than my "unpatched" first release of R2002, you just turn off visretain, and hit RELOAD in the xref manager.  

If you always want the xref to show the layer settings from the original, just leave VISRETAIN off always.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
XREF MANAGER
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 04:56:10 PM »

Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst