Author Topic: The Forge  (Read 1522 times)

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
The Forge
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:24:58 AM »
Anyone following this (The Forge)? What's your opinion(s)?

Stoking the Forge http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2016/04/stoking-the-forge.html

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: The Forge
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 01:59:15 AM »

There’s a long way to go ....

How many products have been started and failed ??

Is this the same organisation that is unable to make changes to the AutoLisp editor it purchased nearly 20 years ago.
... yes, that's how much they care about developers.

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
Because every idea ever conceived always succeeds spectacularly.   :roll:  If we only worked on things guaranteed to succeed, we'd still not be at the point of banging two rocks together...

And lets face it: cloud tech is considerably more in vogue these days than LISP.  Doesn't make sense to put resources into the latter from a business perspective.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »
I have been away from here for a long time! This is a good post to come back to...
I think what they're doing is going to have a great impact on the products and services available. As a software guy I'm often frustrated when using products which just didn't really take time to assess the process of the user and efficiently design the code to perform a given task. I may be egotistical in my own work, but I find that the nature of my own code development is that I learn a task  constantly thinking about how to code the process, and then the outcome is a much simpler user experience and a good overall piece of code.
The shortcoming here is that as a worker I still have to take the time to do my job as I develop my code and I lack the focus, and specialization in software architecture to develop a truly great piece of code. By providing an app store integration and a developer driven architectural platform it encourages people in a similar situation to put in the extra effort to bring the idea to a place where it can be experienced my others.
This also provides a potent feedback loop to autodesk allowing them to tighten development cycles, because let's face it, they have shown a lack of experience in recent years and the user experience has been a little rough along the way. My guess is this is a business model shift towards being marketed like an OS rather than a platform and we'll see an app store with both autodesk and other apps much like google did with android and does for chrome.
Cheers ladies and gents, has been a long time...

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
Welcome back! I agree some. Hard to figure Autodesk out.  They seems to be branching out in a ton directions... I am just worry Autodesk is standing on their "platform" with their head in the "cloud" with no direction. 

I have been away from here for a long time! This is a good post to come back to...
I think what they're doing is going to have a great impact on the products and services available. As a software guy I'm often frustrated when using products which just didn't really take time to assess the process of the user and efficiently design the code to perform a given task. I may be egotistical in my own work, but I find that the nature of my own code development is that I learn a task  constantly thinking about how to code the process, and then the outcome is a much simpler user experience and a good overall piece of code.
The shortcoming here is that as a worker I still have to take the time to do my job as I develop my code and I lack the focus, and specialization in software architecture to develop a truly great piece of code. By providing an app store integration and a developer driven architectural platform it encourages people in a similar situation to put in the extra effort to bring the idea to a place where it can be experienced my others.
This also provides a potent feedback loop to autodesk allowing them to tighten development cycles, because let's face it, they have shown a lack of experience in recent years and the user experience has been a little rough along the way. My guess is this is a business model shift towards being marketed like an OS rather than a platform and we'll see an app store with both autodesk and other apps much like google did with android and does for chrome.
Cheers ladies and gents, has been a long time...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:39:58 PM by Alien »