Author Topic: Poll: Revison Clouds PaperSpace/ModelSpace  (Read 20788 times)

CADaver

Poll: Revison Clouds PaperSpace/ModelSpace
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 12:48:36 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp
umm... freeze their layers in that viewport, maybe

I can't freeze in the viewport because they are sitting in paper space remember?
okay, lost me here.  you get a file from somebody else, when xref'd into your drawings, PS stuff is gone. if it's in MS and it's a problem, freeze that layer.

cuz' we pay attention, maybe?

You've lost me... I don't even have to pay attention if gaps are missed if my matchlines are in modelspace WYSIWYG not WYSIMSMBWYSIPS. :D
so when your matchline is in the middle of the viewport... what?

we coordinate the matchlines, so we'll see the change .
Our matchlines don't change. If your model is in modelspace and your matchlines are in paperspace, how can you see matchlines?
no need to see 'em.

Do you draft through a locked floating vport?
yes, very often we do.  but usually, by the time we've started annotation, modeling in very nearly complete, so there is little to edit in the model itself.

[I think we have very different views on this subject because you are strictly 3d and I am strictly 2d.
could be.  it could also be that i have done it your way 7 or 8 years ago. and as the tools got better and users improved and we saw where we could improve productivity, we jumped on it.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 01:03:53 PM »
okay, lost me here. you get a file from somebody else, when xref'd into your drawings, PS stuff is gone. if it's in MS and it's a problem, freeze that layer.

Their annotation is in paperspace when I get the titleblock setups. This was the problem. Modelspace doesn't matter because our base files are shaded back (as well as the annotation and and does not conflict with our work. (we work on top of the xref).

so when your matchline is in the middle of the viewport... what?

I pay attention that it isn't in the middle :lol: J/K.  First process....setup sheets (matchlines), then work on plans. This way I know where I'm at when I'm working on the plans and nothing will conflict with my matchlines because  can see them.

no need to see 'em.

Wish it were that way here.

yes, very often we do. but usually, by the time we've started annotation, modeling in very nearly complete, so there is little to edit in the model itself.

I can see annotation in paperspace being useful for 3d since you probably have many different angled views for what you are trying to portray.

could be. it could also be that i have done it your way 7 or 8 years ago. and as the tools got better and users improved and we saw where we could improve productivity, we jumped on it.

Have you done it my way? If so, what are these tools I'm missing to improve my productivity? I deem myself a fairly efficient drafter but I'm always looking for a better way. :D

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

CADaver

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 01:05:34 PM »
Quote from: Oak3s
agreed. even if people 'pay attention' things are missed in paper space. perhaps no one here would miss something in paper space cause we are so darn good at what we do. mistakes are not exceptable  :roll:
we have checkers to make sure the drawings are constructable

but the guy right next to me has a problem putting a beam on the beam layer.
we've autmated that procedure to eliminate the user's need to make that happen.  But if the drafter has a problem placing objects on the proper layer he won't be here long.

the point im trying to make is there are bad drafters who dont 'pay attention'.
they don't stay here long. for the kind of money we pay our designers, they dagged well better be paying attention.  i can understand the odd brain-fart here or there or an oversight, that's what checkers are for.  but if it happens with any kind of regularity, i start hangin' paper. 3rd notice is pink.

flipping between spaces and doing work in both is something they simply cant 'pay attention' to.
then they won't be working here.  i'm not gonna be payin' some guy $60K-$100K a year if he can't pay attention to what he's doing.  he can go be the greeter at wal-mart.

in the line of work im in:
single vport scales no xrefing of 'our' work
what line of work is that??

it just makes sense for us to label in model space where the thing is we are labeling.
if the label is in PS, it's still where the "thing" is you're labeling.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 01:20:58 PM »
You know Mr. Culp, the more you talk ...

... the more I wish I could stand the humidity in Texas, 'cause it would be a pleasure to write programs for someone who has such a clear vision of the deliverables.

In other words, it truly makes it easier for bitheads when the target is stationary. It also fairs well for others on the project.

To the inexperienced you sound like a hard nose, to the experienced you are making it easier for everyone to perform their work to spec.

1½¢
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 01:27:39 PM »
Their annotation is in paperspace when I get the titleblock setups. This was the problem. Modelspace doesn't matter because our base files are shaded back (as well as the annotation and and does not conflict with our work. (we work on top of the xref).
then i've totally lost the point you were trying to make about annotation being on top of linework

I pay attention that it isn't in the middle :lol: J/K.  First process....setup sheets (matchlines), then work on plans. This way I know where I'm at when I'm working on the plans and nothing will conflict with my matchlines because  can see them.
see our first process is build the model.  settting up sheets and matchlines won't happen for another couple weeks. heck, i won't even be able guess at the number of sheets (layout tabs) i'm gonna need until the model is well on the way to completion.  once the model is nearly done, we xref that into the annotation model and begin making views (if necessary). then we move to the layout tabs and begin making viewports and scaling them and annotating them.  i still don't see what would conflict with my matchlines, i draw them at the ends of the viewport and i'm done with 'em.

I can see annotation in paperspace being useful for 3d since you probably have many different angled views for what you are trying to portray.
nearly everything we do is 3d, but we still have plan type drawings for civil work that are singular in their view direction. even these are just easier to annotate in PS.

Have you done it my way? If so, what are these tools I'm missing to improve my productivity?
lesee, 3D and annotation in ps to start with.

I deem myself a fairly efficient drafter but I'm always looking for a better way.
i've seen guys that were among the most efficient drafters in the world, certainly the most efficient i'd ever seen.... with a pencil.  i mean these guys could really hammer out a drawing using their methods and skills.  right now our least efficient CAD designer would beat 'em by about half the time.

being efficient with YOUR methods and tools is one thing, but being as efficient as possible by adapting/modifying any and all methods and tools is something else.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »
then i've totally lost the point you were trying to make about annotation being on top of linework

When printing.

see our first process is build the model. settting up sheets and matchlines won't happen for another couple weeks. heck, i won't even be able guess at the number of sheets (layout tabs) i'm gonna need until the model is well on the way to completion. once the model is nearly done, we xref that into the annotation model and begin making views (if necessary). then we move to the layout tabs and begin making viewports and scaling them and annotating them. i still don't see what would conflict with my matchlines, i draw them at the ends of the viewport and i'm done with 'em.

We have different scopes of work. We do the work within pre-specified boundaries. This makes is easy for project setup at the beginning. Your way sounds like it works but wouldn't work here.

nearly everything we do is 3d, but we still have plan type drawings for civil work that are singular in their view direction. even these are just easier to annotate in PS.

We don't "annotate" we have a cover sheet with Key Notes or Flag notes a These are placed accordingly in the modelspace plan. The flagnote symbol is a attributed circled letter or number block to correspond to the note number.

lesee, 3D and annotation in ps to start with.

Still don't see the benefits....

i've seen guys that were among the most efficient drafters in the world, certainly the most efficient i'd ever seen.... with a pencil. i mean these guys could really hammer out a drawing using their methods and skills. right now our least efficient CAD designer would beat 'em by about half the time.

Sounds like you crack the whip if they don't perform:).

being efficient with YOUR methods and tools is one thing, but being as efficient as possible by adapting/modifying any and all methods and tools is something else.

Agreed...that's why I'm on this forum all the time. There is always room for improvement and the only way to really improve is to listen outside point of views. As for annotating in paperpace, you still don't have me convinced that is the best way to do things here.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Royalchill

Re: Poll: Revison Clouds PaperSpace/ModelSpace
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 11:44:43 AM »
Model space. We use cloud1, cloud2 etc, clout delta1, cloud delta2 etc. Example for my buttons.

This one for clouds
^C^C-layer;m;cloud1;c;1;;s;cloud1;;;;revcloud

This one for rev delta's
^C^C-layer;m;cloud-delta1;c;4;;s;cloud-delta1;;;;ortho;on;-insert;rev1;\(getvar "dimscale");;\te;

I go up to 12 plum some RFI delta's and clouds

hope this helps