Author Topic: Poll: Revison Clouds PaperSpace/ModelSpace  (Read 21082 times)

Oak3s

Poll: Revison Clouds PaperSpace/ModelSpace
« on: May 11, 2005, 03:12:54 PM »
My apologize for being late on a discussion of this topic. i did a quick search and read a little about revison clouds and layers used and such but didnt find this particular standard discussed.

The standard is not yet established in the company i am currently working for. some are clouding a revision in paper space all the time. others do all there clouding in model space except when the change is something in paper space.

I prefer to do all my clouding in model space particularly because 95% of the work we do is in model space. i like to cloud where the change occurs (meaning in what space it occurs). so if the change is something in paper space that is where i do the change. we rarely have cases in which multiple view ports (with different scales) are used or even referencing each other. but if they were i would probably cloud in model space and have different layers for each cloud scale. that way i could just freeze the layer that is the wrong scale for a particular view port.

What would you prefer?

whdjr

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 03:26:24 PM »
95% of all of our work goes in Modelspace.

Oak3s

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:30:13 PM »
all that talking and i didnt get the fundemental question out...
Why do you prefer that method?
Why dont you prefer the other?

t-bear

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 03:31:02 PM »
Hmmmmmm....a 3-way tie.  I do all my rev-clouds in PS on a revcloud layer.  With as many as 15-20 vports on some sheets, layer management is already a nightmare, I don't need THAT added burden.

BTW  When is Autodork gonna get their act together and let you dim an object in split (2+) vport?  A 30' piece of C10X20 with seven 1 5/16 holes needs multiple vports....(or its own sheet for petes sake!) to dim.  PITA!!

Birdy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 04:13:22 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
Hmmmmmm....a 3-way tie.  I do all my rev-clouds in PS on a revcloud layer.  With as many as 15-20 vports on some sheets, layer management is already a nightmare, I don't need THAT added burden.

BTW  When is Autodork gonna get their act together and let you dim an object in split (2+) vport?  A 30' piece of C10X20 with seven 1 5/16 holes needs multiple vports....(or its own sheet for petes sake!) to dim.  PITA!!

<driftingofftopic>
Exactly why we do all our dimensioning in model space.  Were we to do all our work in 3d, I think it'd force the issue of dims in PS. ...then we'd have to scale our viewports to "undesirable" settings.

Maybe this is a good Swamp project for all the "crack" coders here?  Create a method of associative PS dimensions that'll span multiple viewports.

<backontopic>
my vote would be to revcloud in PS, for the layer management issues mentioned.
<goingtocastmyvotenow>

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 04:23:43 PM »
clouds are annotation, all annotation goes in PS.

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 04:24:55 PM »
Quote from: Birdy
Were we to do all our work in 3d, I think it'd force the issue of dims in PS. ...then we'd have to scale our viewports to "undesirable" settings.
undesirable settings???, whatever for??

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 04:26:24 PM »
Quote from: Birdy
Maybe this is a good Swamp project for all the "crack" coders here?

Quit that years ago mang.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 04:53:09 PM »
i usually put revision clouds on model...however i have routine where it creates a layer for the cloud to go on...so the first revision would be
"s-rev1-cloud" and the delta or revision block with the revision number is on a layer that stays the same....if there are more than one type of revision number i put them on separate paper space if i need to separate them....usually when it comes to making sevaral revisions with new numbers, the delta  is seldomly omitted.....rather the cloud would be omitted in event where new clouds were added

whdjr

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »
Quote from: CADaver

Not in my Office! :shock:

VerticalMojo

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:08:47 PM »
Paper space..... Helps that you dont have tweak the rev cloud or triangle cuase of scale... just makes it easier.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »
Depends on the circumstance:

I put them in modelspace for any changes on the baseplan (1 xref different views many sheets) as the changes are made. On our detail sheets I put them in paperspace since each detail is a separate xref onto the titleblocks (10-20 xrefs 4-6 per sheet).

The main thing I don't like about PS annotation is when you do all your work in model space, many times the paperspace annotations are sitting on top of your linework When you have many sheets this really gets to be a pain in the A$$.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 05:22:48 PM »
Quote from: whdjr

it will when you go 3D.

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 05:24:42 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp
The main thing I don't like about PS annotation is when you do all your work in model space, many times the paperspace annotations are sitting on top of your linework When you have many sheets this really gets to be a pain in the A$$.
then don't put the annotation on top of the linework.  it's your drawing, put it where you need it.

whdjr

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 05:24:59 PM »
Quote from: whdjr

it will when you go 3D.

hehe...we're trying to figure that out now. :? ADT2006