Author Topic: Insert Block with Description  (Read 1188 times)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
Insert Block with Description
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »
hi all,..

I'm experimenting something actually with Block Definition..

When a block is created with some few definition note in it...then, WBLOCK on external file.
and try to insert this new block into a new drawing....the definition is gone.

maybe I do not understand really what the definition is for...if we even make a search with designCenter.
??

anyone can explain me the advantage of this feature ?
Keep smile...

bilançikur

• Newt
Re: Insert Block with Description
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:16:49 AM »
Hi Andrea,

Here is some pretty neat code that Lee Mac wrote some time ago:
http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?37888-block-description-field

But it is not an answer to your question. Although the code works like a charm it also shows that the block description is not being saved when the block "get out of the dwg where it is created in". So that leaves me thinking that the actual block description is stored in the dwg, or maybe in a dictionary/database in the actual dwg.

When writing a block (wblock) and retaining the object / block in the drawing, then the blockdescription remains good, as long as the imported block has the same name = reference.
If the WBLOCK is proceeded and the objects are deleted from the drawing, then the link to the dictionary is removed as well.

I say it is a bug. You may need to write the description to a separate file wich is to be imported upon inserting a new block.

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:52:55 AM »
FWIW: The description is in fact attached to the "BLOCK" entity belonging to the block definition (gc 4).

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »
I say it is a bug. You may need to write the description to a separate file wich is to be imported upon inserting a new block.

in fact,...this feature will be cool and useful if it was attached to the bloc instead of the drawing data...:(
Thank you for your response.

Keep smile...

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:46 AM »
When you export a Block you write a dwg file not a block, the block is generated when you insert the dwg file.

Try this:
create a block named Pippo with description and WBlock with selection of objects on a file named Pippo_main.
When you insert the Pippo_main with explode active your block will have the description.

Other ways could be:
1- write the description on file properties then rewrite on block after insert...
2- attack description on xdata of an entity then rewrite on block after insert...
3- use a hidden attibute with the description then rewrite on block after insert...