Author Topic: Civil3D - CAD Performance Specs  (Read 10664 times)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Civil3D - CAD Performance Specs
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
 ;D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
If using Civil3D to do normal design work (Not much in 3D Rendering). How strong of a graphics card would you need?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
If using Civil3D to do normal design work (Not much in 3D Rendering). How strong of a graphics card would you need?
as massive as possible...because it is heavily dependant on graphics.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 01:00:51 PM »
Would you say a graphics card is more important than RAM for C3D? We run a minimum of 16 gigs of RAM; newer computers are getting 32GB loaded.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
Would you say a graphics card is more important than RAM for C3D? We run a minimum of 16 gigs of RAM; newer computers are getting 32GB loaded.
NO

That is why I also have such a HUGE  swap file.

This machine typically opens stuff that chokes any other computer in the building.
And then I audit/purge/or freeze Image Layers, or disconnect MAP data.
Then the other user can effectively open the drawing and selectively turn stuff back on.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »

FYI, rendering with Civil3D doesn't involve the graphics card, that only applies to dedicated visualization software like Maya or Blender.

Nothing like the top-of-line $10k Quadros is needed, a decent high-end gaming card should suffice.  If you are tied to a Quadro by your box vendor, a low- to mid-range like the 2000 or 4000 series will do.  Dual cards (SLI, Crossfire, etc.) are not taken advantage of.  Don't try using the various shaded visual styles in the program aside from static-display viewports on drawings; use Navisworks, either Simulate or the NWNavigator plug-in, for dynamically viewing your models.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »
Interesting. I did not think about infraworks and other softwares like sketchup. But the secrete I am hearing is to get a secondary drive and place the biggest swap file on there as possible to gain a bunch or performance. I have heard back in the day, when we had large hard drives; we would partition it into two drives and then apply the swap on the second partition.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
Interesting. I did not think about infraworks and other softwares like sketchup. But the secrete I am hearing is to get a secondary drive and place the biggest swap file on there as possible to gain a bunch or performance. I have heard back in the day, when we had large hard drives; we would partition it into two drives and then apply the swap on the second partition.
putting the swap file on the SAME hard drive, different partition actually DECREASED performance.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell