Author Topic: Surfaces and surface based 3DSOLIDs --= { Challenge } =--  (Read 7673 times)

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
Surfaces and surface based 3DSOLIDs --= { Challenge } =--
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »
Hi all,
I have an challenge question... Lets say I have bunch of curves (SPLINES or HELIXES or ARCS or LINES) that completely lie in some 3DSOLID body SURFACE... What I want is to give me some explanation how can I extract SURFACE that is just part of 3DSOLID body SURFACE and that is formed from those curves as its edges... I mean something like I've projected planar drawing on cylinder or sphere and for example planar projection is actually shape of country on a map... So projection is made on sphere (globe) and now I want to get only surface of country... It would be nice if I could also get its reference 3DSOLID - that surface thickened so that I can read volume or get area and divide that area by 2.0 if thickening was marginally small...

So what do you think... I've seen those world globe video sequences before every news TV program and now I want to do something similar...

Thanks for any comment or advice, regards, M.R.
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Surfaces and surface based 3DSOLIDs --= { Challenge } =--
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »
interference surface(s) should produce result you seek
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »
interference surface(s) should produce result you seek

I don't have other surfaces, I only have curves that lie on target 3DSOLID - SURFACE, and target entity may be complex - I just took sphere for an example... I also need workaround thicken - maybe it can't be thickened with THICKEN... So how to get area or volume of unit normal extrusion of resulting SURFACE?

M.R. on Youtube

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
It would still work....as to 'complexity'  that may run into the limits of Autocad and 3d surface modeling; there may be no overcoming that
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
I've found some workaround... Firstly joined curves into single spline, then loft joined with point of curvature of main surface, and finally SURFTRIM to get only desired part...

Something like attached DWG...

Thanks, M.R.

M.R. on Youtube