Author Topic: AcExtensionLibrary on github  (Read 3688 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
AcExtensionLibrary on github
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Hopefully we all can collaborate on this library and use it save us and everyone else time.

Let's not waste time arguing over things that do not matter and more important concepts like transaction handling, etc.

This is a start with library and a project for documentation and examples, will have time to update it more over holidays.

https://github.com/Hpadgroup/AcExtensionLibrary

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: AcExtensionLibrary on github
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
It takes advantage of shared projects with visual studio 2015 so most work is found in shared section.

Andrey Bushman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
Good idea Jeff.

Can you explain the current structure of directories of the repository (in readme.md file of the repository for example)?

For example my users use AutoCAD 2009... Therefore I compile my code twice: for R17.2 and for R19.0. It can be loaded into any AutoCAD versions are newer than AutoCAD 2008.

I don't see sense to compile code for each version of AutoCAD core individually if wasn't used the specific features of API of these versions. Also I use the same code sources for any AutoCAD. The structure of your subdirectories implies other way (v19.0-20.1). I doubt that it is expedient.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:16:55 PM by Andrey Bushman »

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
Thanks Andrey and plan on doing it that before the new year.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 03:37:13 AM »
I started it but will continue to add more information, and anyone who wants to help manage it let me know.

Hopefully if we get the methods named well, documented clearly, and provide benefit then people will start using it and if it starts getting referenced in post when helping others would probably create the most traction.

We have some people who have joined and only means had enough interest to take a look at project but even if they do not contribute their name associated with project at least helps.

I'm also thinking with talent already joined and started bugging
Andrey
gile
Jeff_M
kaefer
Seant
missing many others
etc...
to join it probably be best to get out of the way and focus on the environment that lets all you guys just do what you do.

#####edit####
keep thinking names I should of added to list but you know who you are and if I would just keep coming back adding names I forgot.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:45:15 AM by Jeff H »

Andrey Bushman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
Hi Jeff,

I wrote couple of thoughts. Look at the attached file (it has the markdown syntax, you can open it in the MS Visual Code in the Preview mode).

Note
I didn't look at your current changes, but I will do it in next few days. It is possible my comments (in the attached file) already became outdated.

UPD
Added info about Fakes in the MS VS Enterprise version.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:10:43 PM by Andrey Bushman »

Andrey Bushman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
I updated my md-file (some missprints are fixed). Also some changes in the description of the file structure was done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:38:36 PM by Andrey Bushman »

Andrey Bushman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
I didn't look at your current changes, but I will do it in next few days. It is possible my comments (in the attached file) already became outdated.
I looked this and I see all my comments are actual.

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I wrote couple of thoughts. Look at the attached file (it has the markdown syntax, you can open it in the MS Visual Code in the Preview mode).

Note

UPD
Added info about Fakes in the MS VS Enterprise version.

Just thought I would comment that the attached file was well thought out response full of great comments and ideas.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

Andrey Bushman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
Just thought I would comment that the attached file was well thought out response full of great comments and ideas.
Thank you, Keith.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
Thanks Andrey, and just quick reply as what I was thinking when I created it and before I read your comments so replies are not arguing against.
There are AutoCAD .Net API by Autodesk® and Teigha .Net API Classic by ODA® exist.
I have never used Teghia or BrisCAD so never considered it but seen it mentioned many times and good points that need to be addressed.

Settings of the proj-files are to be independent of developer's computer.
Lib folder is for references and inside source control so no one should ever worry about where they are located or what version as it stays sync with source control, and ObjectSDK  are only used to get a successful build. Did not want anyone to care or ever update, or even need to think where SDK is located as the files path are stored relative, also a accepted practice by many professional developers.
Unit tests are necessary.
I agree but did not know it was possible to do unit testing that would produce same results as AutoCAD or thought time it would take to mock or fake it and keep up with new versions it did not seem would be worth it, and have no idea about BrisCAD, Teghia, etc as never used it.

Don't create excess proj-files
2013 dll will work in 14, 15 , 16  but allows for system variable changes update to functionality and with shared project takes 10 minutes to create new project. and only what varies needs to be pulled out.
So up to developer to use just like referencing jquery, etc... can go back if wanted.
How do allow for updates or new functionality allowed for each year that gets a updated version each year?
Not sure how 2012 down would work with 2013 up with breaking change.

Will let comments soak in and post back later but thank you very much for great insight and ideas that I never thought of.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
I know you said you didn't want spend time fleshing out minutia but may I help with that aspect(s)? I don't enough experience to help with the code.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »
Of course!

and you have plenty experience to help.