Author Topic: Any better cad program?  (Read 11013 times)

rktect3j

Any better cad program?
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:28:57 PM »
Somebody posted this on another site and I thought you guys might have some information for him.

I use Autocad (2005) and its inefficiency has, for a long time, frustrated me. To use an example, If I alter a window's size, I have to update the plan, elevation, section, interior elevation and the window schedule. And as far as Autocad is concerned I'm not drawing a window at all- but instead just a group of colored lines.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a CAD program with built-in architectural intelligence- a program which you can tell to change a window and it understands you and updates every drawing for you. I know that some programs claim to do this- but does it really work in practice? I've used and older version of Archicad and while it claimed to be able to cut sections automatically, it did not actually generate anything close to a presentation quality drawing. Archicad had some nice architectural-specific parametric features but basically it wasn't a whole lot better than Autocad

I know the world has progressed far enough technologically for the program I'm looking for- but my fear is that nobody has created it yet. We architects have too much education to be spending such a large percentage of our time doing menial CAD monkey tasks. Imagine how much more effort we could put into actual design (or going to the beach) if we had 'smart programs' that did the menial work for us.

Is Architectural Desktop any better than Autocad? Is there ANY program out there that would allow us to shift the majority of our time and labor to tasks that actually relate to architecture and not just pushing a mouse around? Thanks.

I decided to add this as my disclaimer.  The views of the original poster about cad monkeys and mouse pushers are not an accurate depiction of others involved in the field of architecture and should not be taken as such.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Any better cad program?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:35:43 PM »
I don't use, or haven't ever, but isn't Revit just what the doctor ordered?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

CADaver

Any better cad program?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 04:36:01 PM »
dunno the guy myself, but he's missed the boat with autocad.  it's only "colored lines' because that's all he's using it for.  for those of us using it to a deeper level, it does exactly what he wishes it would do.  when i change a window, it changes in all views, because all the views are looking at the same window, not a facsimile of one.

rktect3j

Any better cad program?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 04:42:53 PM »
My original response to him was basically, "so you want to draw a line and have the computer generate a 3d model of a building allowing for all plans, elevations, sections, etc as well as cost takeoffs, estimates, ordering and scheduling of material drop off.  So if we have this what exactly is it that we get paid to do?"

rktect3j

Any better cad program?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:44:04 PM »
Sorry if anyone here got offended.  I have put a disclaimer on the original thread.

CADaver

Any better cad program?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 04:47:38 PM »
the guy has yet to plumb the depths of the tool, has only just scratched the surface, and yet thinks the tool is where his inefficiencies lie. a swing and a miss.

VerticalMojo

Any better cad program?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 04:49:28 PM »
go back to drafting by hand and see how much time you have for the beach....

Dent Cermak

Any better cad program?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
The clown is using plain AutoCad and bitchin'...knowing full well that there must be some purpose for Arch Desktop to be around. What an idiot!! The tools are there but he doesn't know how to use them, so AutoCad sucks? Yeah, something sucks around here , but it ain't the software.

rktect3j

Any better cad program?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 06:01:11 PM »
Hey try to be a little bit civil.  I posted a link for him to follow over here.  He asked even though I told him his post was being eaten alive.  He might check in on monday to see if any answers are forth coming.  If it doesn't look too much like a lynch mob he might join up and post some questions for you. Maybe you can educate him and all us other bad evil architect types on the intricasies of autocad as it seems you are so smart and know it all.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Any better cad program?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 06:09:45 PM »
Took care of mine. Slight misunderstanding as to what you were trying to say. :oops:
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dent Cermak

Any better cad program?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 07:02:32 PM »
My point is that he displayed his foolishness by complaining about a tool that he did not know how to use not functioning properly. It's the tool, not the user? When I bowl a bad game (this happens with great regularity) I do not blame my bowling ball.
The big problem is that his attitude is SO rampant among college graduate experts. Us CAD Monkeys get quite tired of that attitude. Perhaps he just needs a new cad monkey. (The point of the preceeding statement is that most of us PROFESSIONAL DRAFTERS find that terminology VERY offensive.)

nivuahc

Any better cad program?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 08:36:38 PM »
Revit is the answer he seeks.

That is one nifty package.

rktect3j

Any better cad program?
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 10:00:52 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
My point is that he displayed his foolishness by complaining about a tool that he did not know how to use not functioning properly. It's the tool, not the user? When I bowl a bad game (this happens with great regularity) I do not blame my bowling ball.
The big problem is that his attitude is SO rampant among college graduate experts. Us CAD Monkeys get quite tired of that attitude. Perhaps he just needs a new cad monkey. (The point of the preceeding statement is that most of us PROFESSIONAL DRAFTERS find that terminology VERY offensive.)

I understand completely and have nothing but respect for the people who know how to make it all work and the end users as well.  All our jobs end up creating the whole.  Some people just lose sight of it or don't realize other ends of the machine.  I think we might all work better in the end if we try to help and understand each other a bit more.  We can all sit here and complain, bitccch, moan and groan about it or we can try to fix it.  If everyone keeps alienating other  groups of professionals the problem will only get worse.  As well , if any specific group believes themselves to be better then other professionals or that certain types of tasks are beneath him he will surely go thru his career by taking the long, hard road.  It is to his benifit to understand everything around him.

Artisan

Any better cad program?
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 07:52:38 AM »
I have found that ADT presents a steep learning curve coming from using the plain AutoCad. It looks really interesting and I imagine it could do everything he seems to need, but I think that there would be a lot of up-front work to get it to that point. I learn a little bit each day, but with trying to maintain the current workloads and deadlines, I haven't been able to grasp the program for its total purpose. If he had enough dedicated time to train on the software, I think it would serve his needs. As far as his comments about Cad monkeys, I would just pay no attention to it. I've worked for engineers and architects and the perception that many, not all, of these individuals have plays well with this comment. I just find it amusing when one of these individuals needs help, they come to the Cad monkeys with their questions.  :D

nivuahc

Any better cad program?
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »
That's why Revit is the answer. It takes an entirely different approach to 'designing' and 'constructing' architecturally, on screen, with a mouse and keyboard than does ADT.

I could sit my wife, with no CAD experience at all, in front of ADT and have her confused and bewildered in no time flat... no matter how simple I tried to make it seem.

I could sit her in front of Revit and, whithin a few minutes, have her designing her dream home and producing construction plans.