Author Topic: Convert Tool Palette to Ribbon  (Read 2455 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Convert Tool Palette to Ribbon
« on: November 19, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »
I have never customized or created a ribbon before. I do have a tool palette that I did customize and created. Could I ask what would be the steps to convert it over?
Civil3D 2020

ChrisCarlson

Re: Convert Tool Palette to Ribbon
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:02:07 AM »
There are none, pretty much just have to make a new CUIx file with your custom ribbon panel.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
Bummer... I was working alittle on learning this last night and alittle today.

http://www.cad-notes.com/exploring-autocad-cui-working-with-ribbon-part-3/

Great article to help. It is a different mind set creating these panels and commands with icons....
Civil3D 2020

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
I can't recall how tool palletes are stored and set up but you might be able to save the commands/macros you already created. You'll have to dig around the command list window a little bit

caddcop

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
Tool Palettes are XML files so with the right editor, there are not too difficult to traverse. Microsoft has an XML Notepad that keeps everything neat and clean. To use an ASCII Text Editor takes a good working knowledge not only of XML but an editor that can clean up the format to make it easier to view. You think you are able to view them in a browser, too.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:16:44 AM »
Tool Palettes are XML files so with the right editor, there are not too difficult to traverse. Microsoft has an XML Notepad that keeps everything neat and clean. To use an ASCII Text Editor takes a good working knowledge not only of XML but an editor that can clean up the format to make it easier to view. You think you are able to view them in a browser, too.

Correct, OP was inquiring on how to convert the tool palette to a ribbon panel

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
but he does mention a good point to look into. Never really thought about it that way.
Civil3D 2020

caddcop

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »
Since their does not seem to be an easy way to migrate a tool palette to a ribbon, being able to see the commands and any icon file names and paths in the XML source allows one to copy and paste from a palette to a ribbon. I have done similar things between versions of the software and to migrate between tool-bars and palettes. Many people may have not known that the files were XML and therefor more accessible for such efforts.