Author Topic: Help needed with Block Attributes  (Read 2475 times)

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
Help needed with Block Attributes
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
I am hoping wiser minds than mine can help me find an answer with a problem block i have (attached). The Block is a Room/Space information block. It doesn't conform to the new company CAD standards and needs needs updating. My problem is that when i open the block in block editor there are no visible attributes, and no visibility states. I need to adjust the location of the attributes within the block and add visibility states but can't because the attributes aren't visible in the block editor. I have dumped the block object, dumped the individual attributes and scoured the dxf files but still no clue.  :cry:

I need to know how the attributes are hidden and how i can access them in the block editor.

Many thanks

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
Re: Help needed with Block Attributes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »
The attributes that you see attached to the insert have been added programmatically and are not part of the block definition (note that there are no prompt strings). I think your best bet is to explode the insert and recreate the block.

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »
Many thanks.

I'll just construct a new block and submit it. My only concern is that i am still waiting (3 months now) for a reply on how the block is used for reporting purposes. It may turn out that i'm stuck with this blocks layout.

Out of interest, do you know how the attributes are added programatically?

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:07:39 PM »
Out of interest, do you know how the attributes are added programatically?
This is done with a series of (entmake) calls.
First entmake the "INSERT" entity.
Then one or more "ATTRIB" entities.
End finally a "SEQEND" entity.

But the same result can also be achieved if you remove the attribute definitions from a block definition after inserting it.

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
Thanks for the explaination. I didn't realise you could entmake a block attribute without it actually appearing in the block. My thoughs were that this was achieved with xdata attached to the block object.

So in theory i can rearrange the displayed attributes locations by accessing and changing their coords within the block, making most of them invisible to achieve something close to what is required; if a replacement block is not acceptable. 

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 04:22:59 AM »
So in theory i can rearrange the displayed attributes locations by accessing and changing their coords within the block, making most of them invisible to achieve something close to what is required; if a replacement block is not acceptable.
Yes. But making attributes invisible might be risky if users are likely to explode the insert.

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
Yes. But making attributes invisible might be risky if users are likely to explode the insert.
Users only have access to copies of the "in house" master drawings, on a per project basis  :roll:  Other copies of the master drawings are "off site" so to speak, but i take your point. A non-explodable block perhaps.