Author Topic: Data Link to Include Current Drawing After Saveas?  (Read 1593 times)

stusic

Data Link to Include Current Drawing After Saveas?
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Good Day!

Posted elsewhere, but didn't get much feedback, so I'll ask here: Is there a way to make a data link include the current drawing after I do a SAVEAS?

Right now, I've got a template that has a data link table to count blocks in that drawing (let's call it "Template.dwg"). This data extraction template doesn't have any other drawings attached to it, just "including current drawing".

When I save the template as another drawing (let's call that one "Project1.dwg"), the data extraction loses "the current drawing" part and only references "Template.dwg". Additionally, if I add Project1.dwg to the data link, then "Template.dwg" (or, more accurately, "Template.dxe") will forever reference Project1.dwg, even when the template is saved as Project2.dwg. I would like it to include "the current drawing" (Project1.dwg) or both Template.dwg and Project1.dwg. Is there a way to make the data extraction template always include the current drawing?

Huzzah and Thanks! :beer:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Data Link to Include Current Drawing After Saveas?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »
pretty sure not without some code....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

stusic

Re: Data Link to Include Current Drawing After Saveas?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
I htought of maybe copying the dxe file to a local directory (C:\temp or something), then referencing that in the template. Then each time the lisp routine is run, copy the dxe file with the filename prefixed with the project number. Not exactly sure if it would work, but it may. I really wanted to have it do it natively, since it would update the table on saves, publish/plotting/etc.

Oh well.