Author Topic: Open Drawing Becoming Write Protected?  (Read 13101 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: Open Drawing Becoming Write Protected?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »
ISAVEPERCENT <snip> serves no valid purpose anymore.

Disagree. If you desire flaky, unreliable behaviour (especially if your project is network based) you can simply set ISAVEPERCENT to a non zero value and poof, boredom be cast away. 
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
Hmmm.  Value not set to 0 for some time, no "flaky" behavior present.... :?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
Given the reference to Dropbox, I did some reading on this, and do not feel it is related.

While I use Google Drive, I do not use it for any storage locations as those reporting issues with Dropbox do - I mostly use Drive to sync documentation, my .NET source code, CAD-related support/settings, etc. between work and home (in the event my terminal server is unavailable for sown reason). Nothing in my CAD setup is loaded from Drive - these are just backups.

That said, there is a literal difference in CAD behavior when Drive's service(s) are running, and when they're not - I'm at a loss on any correlation, besides the gigabit network, which has never been an issue before.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Maybe Drive is indexing non-defined directories?

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
Not sure... Earlier this week, and yesterday (as I was attempting to make some last minute changes to a submittal per engineer Grrr), it was happening again.

Earlier in the week, I noticed the network was lagging, and saw there was a pending reboot on the file server. Restarted it, and all was well.

Yesterday, it started happening again, and I suspected the network this time but for users streaming music... As soon as most of them went home, the issue was gone... Thinking of throttling their bandwidth.  :-D

No Drive, or Dropbox services have been running this entire time.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
... users streaming music... As soon as most of them went home, the issue was gone... Thinking of throttling their bandwidth.  :-D
Personally, i'd block the sites they are streaming from, or b**chslap them.  No good reason for the company to pay for staff's daily entertainment (I'd rather they paid my salary and bonuses).  Tell 'em to load up their MP3 files on their personal ipods, or go out and buy a radio.

And yes, I've done the slapping around here before. 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Regardless of network traffic, I've found that the issue still happens on occasion - the issue specifically being traced to the .BAK file, as if/when this happens, and I even first save to local disk before attempting to re-save to network and am prompted that the file is in use by another session, I can manually delete the applicable .BAK file via Explorer, and the attempt to save back to network is successful. :-o

At this point, I'm not even sure what to do with that. :hahanot:

I 'spose my next 'test' will be to disable .BAK altogether, and rely on automatic saves for the time being. Grrr

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
Maybe try using MOVEBAK to set your .bak file location to the local machine Temp folder?

Any difference in this happening between Win 7, 8, 8,1, or 10 client OS?

And, although I'm sure it is,  verify that all updates have been applied to the server?
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
Okay, so I moved all of the .BAK files to the local temp folder used for automatic saves, and attempted to save my current drawing as the next, which already exists in .DWG and .BAK (I did use Tim's XREF Manager to modify the references early in this session... hrmmm? :?)... Point being, aside from that, I've added the next drawing (about to be overwritten) to SSM, and that's it.

The next drawing is not open in my, or anyone else's sessions at all....

Code: [Select]
Command: MOVEBAK
New value for MOVEBAK, or . for none <>: C:\CAD\Support\2015\temp
Command:
Command:
MOVEBAK
New value for MOVEBAK, or . for none <C:\CAD\Support\2015\temp>: *Cancel*
Command:
Command: SAVEAS
Deleting registered application "AECGUIBASE"
1 registry application deleted.

Updating Indexes for block *Model_Space
Done.
Updating Indexes for block *Model_Space
Done.
You have C:\CAD\Support\2015\temp\<FileName>.bak open. This file must be saved to complete the addition of page setup overrides for the sheet set.
Command:

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
I've continued doing the SAVEAS, and it does seem to be working properly (in the next two instances, that is).

I am a bit confused as to why the "SAV*.TMP" file is being saved to network first (DWGPREFIX?), rather than local to Profile's ..\Temp\, and then moved to network, but still... So far so good it seems... And for that, I thank you. :beer:

Cheers

[Edit] - Spoke too soon, already happening again; the active document becoming write protected whilst open in my own session. Grrr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
I think you already tried this, but I've seen strange behavior with files in the past & it was the antivirus locking them.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
I think you already tried this, but I've seen strange behavior with files in the past & it was the antivirus locking them.

I'll double check Trend's 'allowed program' settings; I've never added any over the past +/- 2 years, with exception of QuickBooks, and had no issues. I have installed all SPs, etc. since first installing IDSP 2015 (the version I'm currently using for this project), but still.

Have you experienced anything like this in Win10?

Neglected to answer CT's other questions above -

This workstation is a clean install of Win10x64 Enterprise + IDSP 2015/2016 following MOBO replacement.

All servers (physical/virtual) are Server 2012 R2, and have a weekly bare metal backup, preceding Windows Update installs + restart the following day (scheduled).

Cheers

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
*KNOCK ON WOOD*  :)  My network has been running smoothly for quite a while now. No issues with Win 10 to date.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
I'm thinking a combination of Trend (mostly), and my workstation being modified for 64-Bit performance (previously set for 32-Bit unbeknownst to me).

I say that, as I previously had zero issues at all (besides the lack of performance, that is Haha), only following the BIOS changes to my workstation did issues crop up, and while I had previously disabled Trend on my own workstation, it remained enabled on my File Server. *shrugs*

Since adding the full path of each version's install of acad.exe to Trend's allowed/trusted programs, which affects both desktop and server instance of Trend, I haven't had a single issue :whistling:... Too bad I don't have someone as smart as RJP running my network :angel:... Off to re-enable Google Drive, etc. for completeness. :-D

Cheers, ninja! :beer:

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
Quick update -

It ends up that the cause isn't Trend either - while it should have the resultant configuration in testing for this, it *appears* that the cause may actually instead be our Syncovery backup software's 'Real-Time Sync' service running on the file server (which syncs non-empty data to another physical server's share for CYA).

Stopping the aforementioned service seems to preclude the issue from happening (it's only been stopped for a short time this morning), so we'll see.

If this proves to be the cause, then I'll have to look into either scheduling the service, as opposed to being done in real-time, or even transition to Windows Server's in-built shadow copies (which yields the same CYA).

Cheers