Author Topic: Open Drawing Becoming Write Protected?  (Read 12996 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Open Drawing Becoming Write Protected?
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
I've started having issues where the active document becomes read-only / write protected... While already open in my current session (you can actually see the lock symbol added to Drawing tab)... Completely killing productivity today.

I've read through this:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-Cannot-save-the-drawing-path-filename-dwg.html

... And verified that it's not NTFS/Share permissions, or Antivirus (I've both added file extensions to preclude, and it is currently disabled), and first saving local then saving to network works fine.

We installed a brand new Gigabit switch, at the same time as our new Server +/- 1.5 years ago, and there's been no infrastructure changes recently... Despite that, network lag is seemingly the only logical cause.

My workstation has worked fine since the network upgrades, but I did just have an MOBO issue - Dell took me through the BIOS to verify some settings, and we found that it was configured for 32-bit environment, despite shipping with Win8.1x64 + 32 GB RAM, etc. Grrr

It ended up being a MOBO issue nonetheless; Dell sent a replacement, I swapped it out, and modified BIOS for 64-Bit environment, switching from 64 PCI Buses to 256, etc. and my workstation performs better than ever now.

Current specs: Win10x64, Hex-Core Xeon E5-1650, stock Dell SSD (OS, Non-RAID), 32 GB RAM, 3 GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Gigabit NIC

Is it possible that my workstation is simply ready to overwrite the source .DWG file before the rights have been removed following the .BAK, .TMP, etc. file creation? I'm listed as the drawing owner in .DWL* files.

Anyone else know how to diagnose / correct?

[Edit] - I've been running this setup, working on the same project drawings for more than a week now, without issue. This undesired behavior just started today.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:26:46 PM by BlackBox »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

ChrisCarlson

Re: Open Drawing Becoming Write Protected?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »
Are you running A360? Try logging out, we had a similar issue where I think A360 was parsing or uploading DWG files and taking priority.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
Are you running A360? Try logging out, we had a similar issue where I think A360 was parsing or uploading DWG files and taking priority.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Following the MOBO replacement, I have a clean install of both Win10x64 + IDSP... I wondered the same, and had to log in to verify that both DWG + Settings were disabled, and then manually logged out... Although I did just notice that the service / process was still running (from when I logged in earlier - kill!).

I've also disabled A360 in Task Manager, so its not started at login.

Cheers

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:52:42 PM »
DropBox running?  That's been reported as a cause -- fixed recently withe new dropbox client
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
DropBox running?  That's been reported as a cause -- fixed recently withe new dropbox client

Not even installed - to not duplicate files locally (that are already on the server), I've just been using the browser to upload, etc.

Although - I 'spose I could try killing Google Drive, since you mention DropBox, and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Cheers

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
See attachment PNG...

OPTIONS ?
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
Have the same problem here, those .dwl diles are hard to kill, sometimes restarting twice still doesn't kill them. When you can delete them, bizz as usual

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 04:08:48 PM »
Remember that the DWL files are no longer used for file locking.  Locking is strictly a function of the workstation/server OS.  We're not exactly running R14 and WfW 3.1 anymore.

These days, the DWL files are only accessed by the WHOHAS command.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »
See attachment PNG...

OPTIONS ?

Same settings here (mostly), with slightly lower incremental value, given that I work with Civil 3D.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
Remember that the DWL files are no longer used for file locking.  Locking is strictly a function of the workstation/server OS.  We're not exactly running R14 and WfW 3.1 anymore.

These days, the DWL files are only accessed by the WHOHAS command.

I actually didn't remember that, but still have no explanation for the issue - perhaps what you describe can lend credibility to my workstation otherwise performing substantially faster being the issue - when it was configured for 64 PCI Buses (in lieu of the 256 now), I didn't have near the performance, but drawing write/save was never an issue.

Any suggestions for diagnosing which applications are consuming which internal bandwidth (to try and verify), and/or how to set some limits (and give AutoCAD apps the lion's share)?

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 08:42:03 PM »
2 days ago I had the problem until I could delete the dwl files, so that sugguests a lock to me, or is the workstation locking these too.  Acad 2016 here.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Everything seemed to be working fine yesterday afternoon (and into the wee hours of the morning, remotely!), after disabling Google Drive, and Trend... Re-enabled Trend, and no change (so far as I could tell).

Restarted my workstation, and on first save it happened again (my active document become write protected while open in my session, at save)... Went to look in the tray, and sure enough Google Drive was enabled at login... Disabled it again (leaving Trend active), and save activity seems to have normality restored.

It's still early in the day, but this seems like the best cause I've been able to determine so far.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »
Almost sounds like AutoCAD sees the file as read-only (open) and changes the status but never rechecks once it is set to read-only to verify it indeed still is.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
ISAVEPERCENT should normally be set to zero.  That's also a legacy behavior from the bad old days of DOS, and serves no valid purpose anymore.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
We have had issues with this, ours usually seems to correspond with a loss/interruption of network connection... Although its probably nothing to do with that in reality :) 
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.