Author Topic: Topics for a VBA Tutorial  (Read 19709 times)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Topics for a VBA Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 09:46:40 AM »
Quote from: Keith
Well, you "could" do something a little more sneaky .... how about turning off the ability to create layers altogether .. force users to use a template with the layers already defined. It can be done ... but it won't be pretty

Like undefining the commands or deeper than that?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 09:55:47 AM »
Well, like an API that disables the "new" button in the layer dialog, removes the "new layer" option from the popup menu and intercepts the "layer" command from the command line.

Unfortunately, the only real way to prevent the making of layers is to have an event fire when a layer is created, check against a list of authorized layers then have the unauthorized layer deleted. The question becomes how to deal with any entities on the layer when you want to delete it ... such as when inserting a block .. any layers in the block are automatically created
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

daron

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 01:03:33 PM »
Personally CMDuh, I think if you started with the basics, like how to use and test code in the ide, how to use the watch window, and other debugging tasks and the importance of indenting and commenting code. That would be a great start. You'll have some heavy hitters like Keith and Ben, but the majority of us are mush brained when it comes to starting vba. Myself, being knowledgeable in Vlisp, it wouldn't take too long to grasp this after getting through the basics, but until then, I'm a mush brain with vba.

M-dub

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 01:06:41 PM »
Outline of good and bad habits to start / avoid. :?:

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »
Quote from: Daron
Personally CMDuh, I think if you started with the basics, like how to use and test code in the ide, how to use the watch window, and other debugging tasks and the importance of indenting and commenting code. That would be a great start.

Thats the idea.

You'll have some heavy hitters like Keith and Ben, but the majority of us are mush brained when it comes to starting vba.

And I'm counting on Ben and Keith and the other GURUs to fill in the blanks when we get to an area I'm not versed in.  I'm self taught with a lot of questions asked on Cad Vault.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
Outline of good and bad habits to start / avoid. :?:

Thats hard b/c that would be my opinion... There are the obvious ones like COMMENT you code, but we all know that, we just dont always follow thru.  There are some good guidelines that I'm putting in the getting started guide I'm making.  Hopefully that is what your looking for.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 01:29:18 PM »
Quote from: CmdrDuh
Personally CMDuh, I think if you started with the basics, like how to use and test code in the ide, how to use the watch window, and other debugging tasks and the importance of indenting and commenting code. That would be a great start.

Thats the idea.

You'll have some heavy hitters like Keith and Ben, but the majority of us are mush brained when it comes to starting vba.

And I'm counting on Ben and Keith and the other GURUs to fill in the blanks when we get to an area I'm not versed in.  I'm self taught with a lot of questions asked on Cad Vault.

You can count me in as far as offering advice from time to time ... I won't soon be able to actually manage teaching a class, but I MIGHT over the course of the next few weeks put together an API primer ... Those who are familiar (intermediate) with VB(A) will likely want to look toward expanding its usefulness.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
Keith, that would be great!

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 01:58:39 PM »
If it's ok I'd like to contribute too when I've time. I programmed in VB before it even became a Windows application.

:)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »
Quote from: MP
If it's ok I'd like to contribute too when I've time. I programmed in VB before it even became a Windows application.

:)

The more the better!  This originally started out very small as a one-on-one thing, and its grown very quickly.

TR

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 02:24:12 PM »
CmdrDuh :
I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm sure it will be quite excellent.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 02:26:04 PM »
Well I hope I meet your expectations.  I "used" to teach for a living for Autodesk reseller, so the teaching part is not too hard.  But I have only done 1 or 2 web class things, so we will see how it goes.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 02:27:08 PM »
Also, it should be noted that I am more of a hacker than a programmer(being self taught).  I make it work, not always the most elegant way possible.

TR

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 02:28:36 PM »
Quote from: Keith
but I MIGHT over the course of the next few weeks put together an API primer ... Those who are familiar (intermediate) with VB(A) will likely want to look toward expanding its usefulness.

Keith:
I hope to see something like this from you. The Windows API is something I've yet to venture into in VBA and a primer course would be very nice. Judging by what I've seen from you in the past I'm sure it would be a worthwhile read.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 02:59:56 PM »
Quote from: CmdrDuh
Also, it should be noted that I am more of a hacker than a programmer(being self taught).  I make it work, not always the most elegant way possible.

Quick, read this.

Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst