Author Topic: Do you dispose that you managed to wrap a gcHandle on AutoCAD API  (Read 2855 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Do you dispose that you managed to wrap a gcHandle on AutoCAD API
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »
A couple of swampers and I are preparing a library to release or really just make public and open source, but while starting to prepare some documentation I realized the need for some fundamental concepts a user needs to understand to understand the intent of the library.

Reason for thread is to ask for suggestion on any fundamental concepts anyone would like for some swampers to maybe help you understand.

The title of thread is just play on words for some the concepts I was thinking about covering that are basic concepts to help understand the API.
Thought about covering some of basic interactions of unmanaged classes with managed classes, how the managed wrappers are created, IDisposable Interface is used with database resident(not to release memory), DisposableWrapper role, etc....

To be more clear getting library ready to make contributing, using, etc easier.

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
Re: Do you dispose that you managed to wrap a gcHandle on AutoCAD API
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »
Got me exited. Can't wait to see this.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
you can also check your github account and will notice that you have had push & pull rights for a month or so.

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
This idea has popped up in the past on this site. (and it's predecessor)
Kudos for making it happen!

Will you then have two different audiences, or user types?
Consumers who use the libraries but are unaware of the deeper details of how they work? The idea of a wrapper is to simplify and conceal some of the complexity underneath. Consumers might not need much in the way of documentation except a snippet of how to implement a feature. They may not care about managed/unmanaged etc.

Collaborators would use the libraries but might also contribute in the way of bug fixes (never) or added features. Documentation for them would be on a deeper level.

I would be happy to help in any way I can.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

Consumers who use the libraries but are unaware of the deeper details of how they work? The idea of a wrapper is to simplify and conceal some of the complexity underneath. Consumers might not need much in the way of documentation except a snippet of how to implement a feature. They may not care about managed/unmanaged etc.

Collaborators would use the libraries but might also contribute in the way of bug fixes (never) or added features. Documentation for them would be on a deeper level.

Documentation is never a bad thing, literally nothing worse then finding a library with only a title and description and having to dig into the source (if even available) to sort it out.

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
you can also check your github account and will notice that you have had push & pull rights for a month or so.

I'm not seeing it.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »

Great!

Will see how people use it but main intent is creating a environment that encourages the community to keep making it better.
The only reason not public is needing some refactoring to better the chances of picking up traction, so message me your github name and will add you.
Also once it goes public please understand my opinion bears no more weight then anyone else.
If the community felt I was being a arse or a impendence  you guys could host it elsewhere and band me from it wanted to.

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »
I'm not seeing it.

I just sent you an invitation MexicanCustard.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013