Author Topic: [C3D] Operations on Surfaces  (Read 4336 times)

sauron-83

• Mosquito
[C3D] Operations on Surfaces
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:34:52 AM »
Hi, is there a possibility to create new surface based on others two existing.

I mean with exactly the same effect as on the picture.

Picture below presents example profiles of terrain (cyan) and rock surfaces (red) and the green one is that one I want to build - it is updated rock surface.

There is simple rule, in every place where rock surface crossing EG it should take elevation from the EG (= it never takes elevations above EG).
I hope it is clear, if not I will try to precise describe.

Regars, Chris

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: [C3D] Operations on Surfaces
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
place feature lines...assign elevations from surface select EG...this can be done for FULL length or partial length of the feature lines...

Although I am not clear on your goal, there might be an easier way.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sauron-83

• Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:08:12 AM »
place feature lines...assign elevations from surface select EG...this can be done for FULL length or partial length of the feature lines...

Although I am not clear on your goal, there might be an easier way.

The task is to build new surface.
I am not sure what future lines will help me with? I suppose this may work if I only want to have good looking profiles

On the picture below You could see 2 surfaces - EG (magenta border) and Rocks (yellow border).
Green lines are places where these two surfaces crossed each other - got with Minimum distance between surf command.
That means in all those places my updatedRocks surface should be different in oposite to original Rocks
There is simple rule, in every place where rock surface crossing EG it should take elevation from the EG (= it never takes elevations above EG).

Maybe this will clarify the problem:

On the autodesk forum I've got an idea that could work but i have also problems with size of data.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/c3d-operation-on-surfaces/td-p/5820903
It seems that this will takes me much more time than I supposted :/.

Chris

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Looks like just adding the new data into the existing surface should produce result you are after...

although one would most likely want to 'ignore' points where the existing and the new rock data overlap.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sljohnson

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »
If I understand your post correctly, I presume you wish to maintain the pre-construction profile to illustrate the change while creating a single surface to represent the final product.

Create a new post construction surface to act as a container, Paste the existing pre-construction surface into this post construction container, then paste your design surface into this post construction surface. You can alter the construction order within the Surface Properties Definition if you have layered phases. Provided your design surface doesn't bridge over unaltered areas, it should provide the single blended post-construction surface that you're looking for.

Shannon

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »
It looks like there is overlap....and a discreet use of ignoring points from one surface while not from the other will be required to get final composted surface.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell