Author Topic: Civil3D 2016 Service Pack 1 and DGN 3D Polyline linetype  (Read 3730 times)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
Civil3D 2016 Service Pack 1 and DGN 3D Polyline linetype
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »
SP1 claims to support DGN 3D polyline linetypes. Does anyone know how this works? Or what it is? I don't use Microstation so I don't know if it is some fancy stuff in Microstation. I tried to apply a linetype to a 3D polyline but nothing happened in Civil3D.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

caddcop

Re: Civil3D 2016 Service Pack 1 and DGN 3D Polyline linetype
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
DGN Linetypes must be read or imported from a MicroStation Linestyle Resource file. The easiest way I found that works is to import them into a DGN file and then import the DGN file. However, occasionally not all of them import.
They might also be talking about using a DGN Underlay that uses a DGN Linestyle on a 3D polyline (non-planar linestring). In MicroStation elements like this have a normal direction and the linestyle is applied to the elements perpendicular to the normal. If the Z coordinates vary by large amounts, the display gets some serious foreshortening.
I have experimented with DGN Linetypes and found that they do not honor Annotation Scale. In MicroStation, it is possible to specify a linestyle as being "physical" or not. A non-physical linestyle is considered a symbol and will scale with annotation scale (in MicroStation) while a physical linestyle is considered to represent an object that is drawn and plotted full scale and ignores annotation scale.
We do highway work, so we have linestyles representing pavement striping that we do not want scaled. These are good candidates for import into a DWG file. While a symbolic linestyle, like a wire fence or tree line that should scale with a plotting scale are best left to be done using an AutoCAD LIN file.
We are not using Civil 3D 2016 so I cannot give any additional information on the service pack read me. 

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:00:39 AM »
Ah, thanks for this update. It seems that Autodesk presents this as a new feature, but actually it is just an improved import of DGN files. It would be nice if this become available in AutoCAD as well. Pavement striping is an issue and companies here use different workarounds. I tried once Dynamic Path Arrays for this and it works quite well. But fixed linetypes would be a better solution.

Do you perhaps have an example DGN available with a few different lines (fixed, non-fixed) so I could do some tests?
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

caddcop

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
OK
Here are four sets of MicroStation Linestyles in DWG files. There are designed to be used with AutoCAD line types for scaled linetypes via annotation scale, MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE, LTSCALE all set to 1.
They should only be used to represent real world objects, using a linetype scale of 1 when placed.

These come from our local State DOT's Highway Administration. They are used to represent real world objects, placed at actual size. Pipes are created using the width, in feet, of the ID of the pipe.

Let me know what you think and how they seem to work for you.

BTW, as I understand it, they create objects in the file that a regular purge apparently cannot remove. There have been posts about this and on some blog, someone posted a custom tool to allow one to fully purge all remnants of these once they are not being used.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
Thanks!!!  :) :)

Do you have the file with the striping also as DGN file, so I can check the DGN underlay function?  8)

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
You can probably cull some useful content from here as well. :-)

[Edit] - Looks like you can download the AutoCAD-only build straight away, but the FDOT has prefaced the Civil 3D download with one of those informational forms as a prerequisite - here's a direct link to download for Civil 3D, bypassing their form (thank you Inspect Element! :evil:).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:15:03 PM by BlackBox »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

caddcop

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »
These files all require access to the linestyle resource files (*.rsc) that the DOT provides. While you can import the linestyles into DGN files similar to how you load *.LIN files into AutoCAD, it is not required and the DOT has not specified nor encouraged this practice. I have not looked at the settings in AutoCAD that specifies where it would look for the RSC files for import or DGN underlays.
Also, the mTO-S000_.dgn file contains 2 models. When attaching an underlay, you can select which model to attach. A Model is like ModelSpace. MicroStation has no limit on the number of Models (3D or 2D Modelspace), Designs (2D only Modelspace) and Sheets (Layouts). The only restriction is that a file must have one Default model although is is not required to be named Default, however getting a file with a default model not named Default takes a bit of chicanery.
This is the link where you can download their workspace in a zip file: http://www.roads.maryland.gov/m/index.aspx?PageId=29