Author Topic: perpetual licenses  (Read 9693 times)

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
Re: perpetual licenses
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
The only reason we still use AutoCAD is for the older projects that are still kicking around. We're at the point where we'd rather link a DWG into Revit and use it as a background rather than try to work in AutoCAD again.  For the most part.... :)

I believe you can. We do it in cetain design stages. But when we get to detailling more complex steel and concrete it really stops for us. At that point autocad is involved (again). Besides that, we have to deliver dwg to clients as deliverables.
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »
If the expertise is there, it could make sense.  But I'd think that's somewhat of a niche market for Autodesk.

The context of getting a short term license for sidework also makes sense for the user (say a person who does C3d all day, and once or twice year lands a side job that could use C3D).  But again, that's a pretty niche market that doesn't impact Adesk's bottom line either way.

TBH, I don't know about the bottom line. That's above my expertise to comment on.

I'd be surprised if it is really a niche market. I think the month long subscription is aimed at this portion of the market. A brief survey in my head of drafters that I know that do CAD for companies confirms this.

Most of the good drafter/designers do side work on a sporadic basis and most of them do not own a license for AutoCAD. Some of the drafters also do side work. IME, the monthly cost on an as needed basis can easily be budgeted into most of these projects and I think AutoDesk was aiming at the part of the market with that option. There has to be money there.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
A brief survey in my head

:blink:   :blink:   :blink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
So far I have not seen many people or companies working 'revit only'. There is just to much involved that needs cad (acad) be done. I read many devoted revit users how crap AutoCAD is for there workflow, but can they work without it?? I doubt it really. Otherwise it would make more sense to pay AutoCAD per day. Tru SaaS.
The only reason we still use AutoCAD is for the older projects that are still kicking around. We're at the point where we'd rather link a DWG into Revit and use it as a background rather than try to work in AutoCAD again.  For the most part.... :)

The company I work for plans on dropping AutoCAD for production on new projects. The company that M@yhem works for is a competitor of ours and there is at least one other large company in our area that has dropped AutoCAD.
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
A brief survey in my head

:blink:   :blink:   :blink:

It's valid because I am working with previous knowledge.

I only counted one of the drafters that live in my head.
CAD Tech

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »
Congratulations on dropping 2D AutoCAD Rob.. I guess for the business you work in the new subscriptions will work out fine then.
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
@ Mayhem

Rob appears to have spies in your office 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
TBH, I don't know about the bottom line. That's above my expertise to comment on.

Carl Sagan voice:  'Billions and billions".

enough to buy Instructables.com so CB has something to play at being a 'Maker' with.

re: limited need for DWG deliverables.  Seriously, if I spent my time with a non-DWG design package, but occasionally need to create or tweak some 2D drawings, I'd jut get a seat of BricsCAD.  Permanent license for the cost of a few months of desktop subscription.  Which reminds me, I need to DL and install Carlson this weekend to play with their Intellicad engine.  (wonder why Intel hasn't sued them for trademark infringement?  they seem to have sued most everybody else that uses those five letters in a brand)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:33:14 PM by cadtag »
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
Will we get upgrades every month or 2 without knowing what they are or do?
The pdf thing in acad 2016 is truly ridiculous, not the only time they have added something new without an off button.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
Will we get upgrades every month or 2 without knowing what they are or do?
The pdf thing in acad 2016 is truly ridiculous, not the only time they have added something new without an off button.
highly doubtful

Will we get NEW bugs every year?   Oh yes!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 05:41:06 PM »
The reason I asked who owns content is because if company does not want to buy software and only rent for three months, I doubt they have standard content(details, familes, blocks, etc...) laying around so a contractor would have to provide them. I'm sure the contractor would charge much more if sold rights to content, and could not use it after job, or does he tell company not allowed to share it,  but just wondering how that got handled.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
The reason I asked who owns content is because if company does not want to buy software and only rent for three months, I doubt they have standard content(details, familes, blocks, etc...)

or they do have content, its usefulness is diminishing, and does not warrant a full time subscription.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »
The reason I asked who owns content is because if company does not want to buy software and only rent for three months, I doubt they have standard content(details, familes, blocks, etc...) laying around so a contractor would have to provide them. I'm sure the contractor would charge much more if sold rights to content, and could not use it after job, or does he tell company not allowed to share it,  but just wondering how that got handled.
It is 'work for hire'

they own all created content....

unless the contract worker had a very specific contract that said something like:

you are purchasing only 2d printed output, i.e. PDF or otherwise, actual CAD files will remain in my possession and you may not ever have them,
unless you purchase them for and additional fee based on your desired usage of the material therein

I don't see that person getting much work under those restrictive conditions.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
I don't see that person getting much work under those restrictive conditions.

I've actually gotten side jobs at a premium for small contractors because I was creating all the content. Subsequent jobs using same content were at normal prices. All project .dwgs were handed over.
CAD Tech

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
Exactly why sidework requires a written contract and a lawyer to review.  Beyond Ownerrship and re-use,  what is the drafter's liabilty exposure?  Everryone makes mistakes or misses something.  Example, house in port st joe was 4" over maximum allowable height.  Do you want to get stuck with the bill for tearing off the roof and third ffloor, and rebuilding to required height?  In this case, the contractor had to fooot the bill.  If a junior drafter had cadded up the plans for hire, what portion of the bill would he get stuck with.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business