Author Topic: perpetual licenses  (Read 9722 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
perpetual licenses
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:10 AM »
After January 31, 2016, new perpetual licenses of most individual Autodesk software will no longer be available for purchase. The time is now to take advantage of two great offers that, when combined, will help your business address these changes. This offer ends July 24th so act now to obtain the best option for your business.

What is a perpetual license?

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: perpetual licenses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
Is that a rhetorical question?
CAD Tech

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
That's a license where you pay for the software once, and can use it as long and as much as you want.  The alternative is a rental scheme, misnamed 'desktop subscription', where a user pays the vendor every month/quarter/year for the right to keep using the software.  And the day you decide to no longer continue paying for a seat, it quits running.

The latter scheme lets businesses hire and fire pretty freely, since they can expand and shrink their licenses number pretty readily, and have less of a sunk cost or ongoing maintenance fees.  Vendors believe they will increase revenuses by renting software rather than selling perpeptual licenses, since the total expenditure is higher over the long term. 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:31:39 AM »
After January 31, 2016, new perpetual licenses of most individual Autodesk software will no longer be available for purchase. The time is now to take advantage of two great offers that, when combined, will help your business address these changes. This offer ends July 24th so act now to obtain the best option for your business.

What is a perpetual license?
It's what you have now. You buy it then pay a yearly subscription (maintenance) fee and get "free" upgrades.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »
Thanks! I thought this would make an interesting discussion. Adobe went this way a year(?) ago. I have heard a few complaints but nothing major. Well until the customers could not connect to the license server network. :)

This could be great for the small business folks if the price is right!

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:54:47 AM »
Pricing will be interesting.... initially, the five year cost of software rental is going to have to be lower than the 5 year cost of maintenance subscription to get any traction.  Once customers have bought in, and will have great difficulty migrating away, I would expect the cost to begin incrementing rather steeply.  That first taste of heroin is always free after all.....

Tas wise, it's a decent option in the US, since subscription costs are immediately deductible as a business expense, vs a capital expenditure for mutli-thousand dollar software that has to be depreciated over multiple years.  No different in that regard than buying office space vs renting one.

From a human perspective, it (IMO) encourages the treatment of staff as disposable commodities.  bring people on board when needed, kick them out the door when not.  Short term thinking.....

As a shareholder, I think it's going to be a nice short term gain in Adesk revenue, but I'm not optimistic that it will be sustainable, and could very well crash.  As a _customer_, Bricsys, Carlson, and Graebert are looking much more attractive in the long run.

After all, one of the lessons we've learned from maintenance subscription (eg paying for the next version in advance without knowing what's going to be in it) is that the putative upgrades only rarely improve productivity, and often reflect software fashionability instead of what I need or could use.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »
In the end this is NOT good for the consumer (user) this is about revenue stream for autodesk.
As mentioned above, and as I have been pointing out for YEARS this is really BAD for overall
reliability, interoperability and improvements to the product in the long run.

Really, IF all you are getting from your subscription fees is knowledge of the cost of the software license and
a few minor improvements and fewer bug fixes what are you really getting for your money?

The ONLY people this makes sense to are accountants and or shareholders, to all others there is little valid reasons to consider this a 'good thing'.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »
Once again, your biased to all things AutoDesk is clouding your vision.

Desktop Subscription can have a real value to the occasional freelance drafter or someone starting a new business. No longer is it necessary to come up with a huge investment for the software. In fact, the cost is so reasonable that it could be worked into the fees for a contract or spread out over multiple jobs. I see it as an opportunity.
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
That's especially true for some of the more esoteric products.  Somebody may be doing presentation work part-time, so there is no way they could afford, say, a full-on perpetual 3DSMAX license for only a month or three of work.

Something that just occurred to me is this is like a more personal version of token licensing.  Use what you need, when you need, and get charged for that and not when you aren't using it.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
Really, IF all you are getting from your subscription fees is knowledge of the cost of the software license and
a few minor improvements and fewer bug fixes what are you really getting for your money?
With the subscription model couldn't Adesk focus more on bugs than improvements?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
With the subscription model couldn't Adesk focus more on bugs than improvements?

Yes it seems that is exactly what they do....produce MORE bugs and fewer improvement!

Think of all the things that do not YET work inside C3D which you use....and ask why has the subscription model not yet rendered all those defects
'fixed'?  The thing should be nearly perfect by now, yet most of the annoying aspects remain broken.  right?

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
The occasional rental option might be a good thing for some, however I think for the majority of full time users of the product
users this is not a good thing.

I think this shift is also exposing customer reluctance to continue to buy in to the current subscription model (product suites).
And autodesk is simply rebranding that model, while at the same time attempting to extract more revenue for less development effort.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »

Yes it seems that is exactly what they do....produce MORE bugs and fewer improvement!

Think of all the things that do not YET work inside C3D which you use....and ask why has the subscription model not yet rendered all those defects
'fixed'?  The thing should be nearly perfect by now, yet most of the annoying aspects remain broken.  right?
You completely missed my point.

If they put everyone on a perpetual license they don't NEED to keep adding, so called, improvements and calling it a new product so we, the consumer, think we're getting something new for our money. They can focus on actually fixing bugs and making real improvements to the software.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »

If they put everyone on a perpetual license they don't NEED to keep adding, so called, improvements and calling it a new product so we, the consumer, think we're getting something new for our money. They can focus on actually fixing bugs and making real improvements to the software.

They won't do that, as they will still feel a need to attract new customers and or continue to respond to 'wish list sh!t' to maintain users....
I find it interesting that people don't ask loudly or often enough to have the crap in all of this stuff fixed before asking for something new;
given that it (the new thing) doesn't quite work either when introduced, or creates other problems to deal with as well.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »

If they put everyone on a perpetual (pay as you go) license they don't NEED to keep adding, so called, improvements and calling it a new product so we, the consumer, think we're getting something new for our money. They can focus on actually fixing bugs and making real improvements to the software.
Sorry, screwed that up.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:21:59 PM by Mark »