Author Topic: Lines  (Read 10936 times)

Bethrine

Lines
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
In paper drafting, it is suggested to use maybe 3 lineweights.

How practical is this today?

How many lineweights do you use?

The older drawings tend to look cleaner to me. What do you think?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Lines
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
5-7 lineweights are managable

Past that it starts to just present as 'noise'
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »
Bethrine,
I seldom used object lineweight ... relied more on pen size ...
As MJ mentioned, 5 - 7 is optimum ; though I've produces a lot of documents with 4 pen weights
metric 0.25, 0.35, 0.5, 0.7

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

danallen

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
I think three lineweights is a good start for basic drafters, in my experience they can't decide consistently for more weights than that. For architectural detailing:
1 = heavy cut line, just the perimeter of object (for old free hand ink details we used a fat sign pen http://www.dickblick.com/products/pentel-arts-sign-pens/)
2 = everything else (for hand used a thinner stylist  http://www.dickblick.com/products/yasutomo-stylist-pens/)
3 = light hatch patterns (for hand used a pencil or really light touch on stylist), this weight can even be dropped to just have 2, see Frank Ching drawings

maybe go to 4 weights
1.5 = significant objects within section cut, such as primary structure, or for elevation views the outline of the object or change in plane depth

Bethrine

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »
Bethrine,
I seldom used object lineweight ... relied more on pen size ...
As MJ mentioned, 5 - 7 is optimum ; though I've produces a lot of documents with 4 pen weights
metric 0.25, 0.35, 0.5, 0.7

I learned somewhere here that today's lineweights came from printer pens (so to speak). I wonder if those were created to match older standard pen widths?

Bethrine

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
Thank you Kerry and dan allen! I am taking notes!

dan allen: deciding consistently was definitely something I struggled with, especially without guidance on it.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:44:15 AM »
We originally used colours to match the old pen sizes, so in the UK, the pen widths were red=0.18, white =.25, yellow=.35 etc... that "helped" us older drafties "see" how thick our lines on the computer would plot out...

I used to love to watch the old pen plotter do a plot, there never seemed any logic to where it would draw next :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:12:23 AM »
^^ ditto

The 0.5 pen was brown but we used Magenta for 0.5 lines.

We had this (not plottable) in the corner of our borders to 'remind' anyone ( clients ) who plotted our drawings.
Since that time almost all documents are issued PDF rather than dwg files.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »

I learned somewhere here that today's lineweights came from printer pens (so to speak). I wonder if those were created to match older standard pen widths?

Technical Pens, e.g. Rapidograph, were the original source.  Prior to their introduction, the previous style of drafting instruments, ruling pens, were capable of much more variation in line width- depending on the way they were held.  sorta like calligraphy pens.  Ruling pen lines could change line width from one end to another -- kinda helpful to emphasize the important parts like the ends while diminishing the impact of the overall line.

Technical pens on the other hand, were restricted to fixed line widths, and the way to change the weight of a line was to swap pens.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:32:44 AM »
Technical pens on the other hand, were restricted to fixed line widths, and the way to change the weight of a line was to swap pens.

I remember being taught how to "thicken" a line using technical pens by drawing the line up to three times:  The first you had to hold the pens straight against the ruler (as one normally does), a second line could then be drawn with the pen slanting away from the ruler slightly, and a third with the pen slanting towards the ruler.

dJE
===
dJE

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
Someone was teaching you some 'bad' habits.....

including calling a drafting instrument a 'ruler'.

We had inking triangles and parallel ruling Straightedges, and or 'drafting arms'.  And scales; oddly we had no 'rulers'.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:28:10 AM »
lol

Quite possibly

I was taught never to use a scale rule as a straight edge, but had forgotten the generic term!

dJE
===
dJE