Author Topic: Help help!!  (Read 6258 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Help help!!
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
Note: To avoid confusion when transmitting and publishing drawings, it is usually recommended that you create only one named layout for each drawing.

On each layout, you can create as many layout viewports as you like. Each layout viewport is like a picture frame into model space, containing a view that displays the model at the scale and orientation that you specify. You can create a single layout viewport that fits the entire layout or create multiple layout viewports. Once you create a viewport, you can change its size, properties, and also scale and move it as needed. You can also specify which layers are visible in each layout viewport.

I'm confused by that statement. Are they saying you should only have one Layout per .dwg?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Help help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
That is my take on it. One layout but it can have multiple viewports.
CAD Tech

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
My take as well.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
Do you actually do that? I have some drawings with 20+ layouts in them. I see no benefit.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
Nope. That sounds like some outdated transmission guideline.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
Note: To avoid confusion when transmitting and publishing drawings, it is usually recommended that you create only one named layout for each drawing.

I'm confused by that statement. Are they saying you should only have one Layout per .dwg?

This is what I read, One Named layout for each drawing; i.e., there should only be one Layout named East Elevation, as TWO Layouts with the same name would be very confusing. And only one layout named Road A Sta 10+00 to Sta 650+00 Plan and Profile, because as you can see two of those would be equally confusing.

IF their intent is to suggest that there should be A single drawing that contains A single Layout, they have clearly failed to specify that midst
all the verbiage attempting to explain how one can make viewports on said layout tab.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »
This is what I read, One Named layout for each drawing; i.e., there should only be one Layout named East Elevation, as TWO Layouts with the same name would be very confusing. And only one layout named Road A Sta 10+00 to Sta 650+00 Plan and Profile, because as you can see two of those would be equally confusing.

Actually not so confusing, as with Highlander... There can be only one. :-D

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
Sounds like how I had to do things with R13

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:55 AM »
Mark, there's a number of possible reasons for that guideline.  First, by having only one layout ("drawing") per file that allows multiple users to be thrown at a job.  Second, drawing tracking systems usually track by filename not by drawing; with a 1:1 relationship between file and drawing it minimizes management and storage issues.  That also comes down to requesting an existing drawing for modifications, its not beneficial to sign out the entire 20-drawing set considering that other projects which need some of the other 19 drawings will have to wait until the entire set is checked back in.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Given that the 'drawing' may actually be made up of multiple drawing files all referenced together,
and then subsequently referenced into a single file, and then referenced into the 'drawing' that will have this singular
layout in it.  I don't know that this is document management driven, because it would not account for
'drawings' composed in that manner.  And many Civil  'drawings' are constructed that way.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
Do you actually do that? I have some drawings with 20+ layouts in them. I see no benefit.

I did (when I used AutoCAD).
Reasons:
1. Multiple people on a project
2. Batching
3. Project navigator
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
You xref the model into each new .dwg?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
Second, drawing tracking systems usually track by filename not by drawing; with a 1:1 relationship between file and drawing it minimizes management and storage issues.
I have one .dwg with 20 layouts. If i used their method i would have 20 .dwg's. How does that minimize management and storage?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 11:18:52 AM »
Using the method they appear to be asking for one would need to do exactly that.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »

Yes - I XREF our existing, and proposed models into each new, single-layout drawing.

Working in a team environment is impossible when one user has the entire project locked up to work on one 'sheet' at a time, so single-layout drawings have been SOP since well before my time, at ALL of my employers to-date (save the occasional user who insists on being inconsistent from project to project).

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."