Author Topic: Exporting DWG (similar as PDF)  (Read 12600 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Exporting DWG (similar as PDF)
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
had Arch send Revit model for every update and exported files to use instead of them sending what they were sending.

Same here. How could you expect the arch to know what settings to use? Plus, they ALWAYS did not send something we needed. RCPs were often left out of the sets of .dwgs that we would get.
CAD Tech

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
had Arch send Revit model for every update and exported files to use instead of them sending what they were sending.

Same here. How could you expect the arch to know what settings to use? Plus, they ALWAYS did not send something we needed. RCPs were often left out of the sets of .dwgs that we would get.
If I'm in contact with the person handling it I try to give them description of what we find important, and value most.
If a Arch is sending to different disciplines and only feedback is I need model that "looks good" what can you expect.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
If I'm in contact with the person handling it I try to give them description of what we find important, and value most.
If a Arch is sending to different disciplines and only feedback is I need model that "looks good" what can you expect.

I haven't had the luxury of working with architects that were that savvy. Plus, it was a lot easier for me to export to exactly what I wanted than it was to do the back and forth in order to receive everything I needed in a format that didn't require a lot of work on my part.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »

I haven't had the luxury of working with architects that were that savvy. Plus, it was a lot easier for me to export to exactly what I wanted than it was to do the back and forth in order to receive everything I needed in a format that didn't require a lot of work on my part.
Or just simply send the arckee-tect a blank file with your DWG export settings already defined and have them transfer those settings into their project. This will allow them to export a DWG to your layers.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Revit-Customize/files/GUID-2A49FE80-1B07-4C95-A0FE-42CE2001F3C2-htm.html
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
Or just simply send the arckee-tect a blank file with your DWG export settings

That still leaves open the possibility of them not sending everything. Frankly, even if they were able to give me everything the way I wanted it, I would still ask for the Revit file.

It's pretty much a non-issue now as we have advanced enough that I haven't had to jump through those hoops in a long time. I'm hoping to do P&IDs in Revit for the first time for a few projects that I am setting up. I'm hoping to not have any AutoCAD links in them.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
I'm hoping to do P&IDs in Revit for the first time for a few projects that I am setting up.
Using detail lines?
Autodesk Expert Elite

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
Using detail lines?

Yes, sir. I've already started Revitizing our symbol library.
CAD Tech

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
Can you pull information out of model for details or other drawings?

Can a one-line point to the name of a panel in the model, or they starting to bury the info inside the objects that meant to display them.

I thought it was supposed to be a database or data that you could display however you wanted.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »
My plan at this point is to do the one-lines in Revit like we would in AutoCAD. Making them smart is a ways off at this point.
CAD Tech

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
My plan at this point is to do the one-lines in Revit like we would in AutoCAD. Making them smart is a ways off at this point.
But I'm pretty much dumb all the time and why it would be betterer if it were smarterer

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »
But I'm pretty much dumb all the time and why it would be betterer if it were smarterer
Okay Krush.   :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
Here i have a sample of a Revit-drawing as direct pdf and as DWG export
Apart from not correctly exported to coordinates (our clients demand the DWG drawings in coordinats)..
i cannot get it to work to get the conversion wright 'wysiwys' speaking.
We, like many, use the dutch national Revit (DRS) standard.
Again, tips & trciks for correct DWG output are welcome.

Thanks anyway..
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
Okay, so what PCP / CTB file did you use to create the PDF after it was exported to DWG? Did you convert the PCP file that was automatically generated when the DWG was exported from Revit or did you use some other CTB file?
Autodesk Expert Elite

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
I use the pcp file provided by Revit. In Autocad create new ctb..  select pcp etc..
I think the idea should be that Revit would give the right settings to plot the DWG good. As Revit and Autocad are both Autodesk software.
Autocad a liitle more 2D.. Revit a little more 3D?

(edit : i think the problem is Revit is really giving away or saving any plot settings..maybe next release..?)

Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »
I think the idea should be that Revit would give the right settings to plot the DWG good. As Revit and Autocad are both Autodesk software.
But your settings/preferences for ducts and pipes may be different from my settings/preferences for ducts and pipes. You need to specify, yourself, the output for the DWG (layers, colors, linetypes, etc...)
Autodesk Expert Elite