Author Topic: LISP & VLISP with BricsCad  (Read 7121 times)

Bill Tillman

LISP & VLISP with BricsCad
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
I am looking for an alternative to AutoCAD for some LISP code operations. Confidentially, I've always been told that the AutoCAD alternatives out there are fine but none of them will run LISP/VLISP apps. Today I visited Bricsys' website and they are claiming their products runs LISP just fine. Now, the question for a lamb brain like me is does it also run VLISP code...? Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. BTW - this project is strictly 2D drawings, no 3D needed.

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
Re: LISP & VLISP with BricsCad
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
I have been working for many years with Bricscad and I can say that all of my programs (not very complex) works with Bricscad.
There are some cases that require a small adaptation to work on both platforms.

ur_naz

• Newt
  • Made in Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
As for me bricscad has better lisp&dcl engine then autocad. but you can't compile apps with separate namespace as in autocad  :crazy2:

Woabow

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »
Don't worry, it wil run on Bricscad. I almost never haven to change anything to make it run on Bricscad and I have more than 10.000 lines of code.

And, last time I tested, it's more than 10 times faster (of course depending on what you do).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:16:56 AM by Woabow »

danallen

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
my 10,000+ lines generally work, some tweaks were necessary to move to Brics. The big issue is no VLIDE and no error checking as code runs. Makes debugging a PITA

hmspe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
Lisp works well for me in Bricscad.  I use a bit over 800K of custom lisp in Bricscad.  As others have noted ther are some tweaks required, but that is no different from fixing code for the command/command-s issue Autocad recently introduced.  I have been converting my code to use the vle- functions as time permits.

I moved my office to Bricscad several years ago.  The only thing I really miss from Autocad is the "Export layout to model" function.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »
One of the nice things about Lisp in BricsCAD is that it is being actively developed, so if you run into problems you can get direct support. [Disclaimer: I'm working for Bricsys.]

DanW

• Mosquito
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 04:32:59 AM »
Regarding the vlide (lack of), I actually find the rich command line error output in BricsCAD perfectly adequate for debugging.

With a bit of tweaking, I found UltraEdit (as recommended by Torsten Moses) much nicer than vlide and well worth the price. 

I now find I prefer programming with Ultraedit/BricsCAD, rather than with AutoCAD vlide.  I then port to AutoCAD rather than vice versa.

I'm a big fan of the vle- functions too. Excellent support too, I've made the odd suggested enhancement/feature which has been implemented.

XXL66

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 05:11:44 AM »
I ported 4,68Mb lisp source code from acad to bcad in a single day. I ones made an effort to try it for Ares (Graebert), after months i eventually gave up.
BricsCAD handles lisp perfectly this is because Thorsten Moses took revenge:

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 06:46:35 AM »
I've made the odd suggested enhancement/feature which has been implemented.

Ditto

danallen

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
Regarding the vlide (lack of), I actually find the rich command line error output in BricsCAD perfectly adequate for debugging.

I need the function by function step through and variable watch features of VLIDE to debug my code. Can do it without, just takes longer.