Author Topic: Annotative Text 7 Dims Poll  (Read 7018 times)

trogg

• Bull Frog
Annotative Text 7 Dims Poll
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:22:31 AM »
I'm have a poll whether or not companies use Annotative Text & Dims as a company standard or if they they use it on their own. If they do use it as a standard how do you use it in a 3D model and not interrupt other disciplines that reference your models?

I know that Civil 3D uses Text in models space but I have never heard of an engineering form willing to put text in their model.

Anywho - take the poll and see what the results are.
http://autocadtips1.com/2015/04/22/poll-does-your-company-use-annotative-text-dimensions/

Thanks
~Greg

ChrisCarlson

Re: Annotative Text 7 Dims Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »
We keep drawing notes in the layout tab so annotative scaling isn't an issue there, dims and room numbers are in model space and annotative.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
Answered yes and we do not do 3D in AutoCAD.

We use separate models. The only way text from a different trade would be in a model is if it were XREFd in. When it is referenced. The layer is set no no plot and usually frozen.
CAD Tech

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:20 AM »
annotative text and dims are not a company standard, some people and offices do use them, but as a rule, with the separation of model and sheet files, along with Dref, there's not much need or benefit.  Especially dimensions.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:04 AM »
Yes and Yes...and yes we (an engineering firm CIVIL) do put texts in the model space.
Layers,XREFS, Layouts etc the text doesn't interfere with the model.

The 'other' trades, most likely just freeze our layers and move on.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bethrine

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
I've done some looking into this and imho it's a lot more work setting up annotative text for 3D models. It can be very useful in a 2D environment but onceyou hit 3D it gets much more complicated. Seeing as I do a lot of 3D work, I don't use it.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
Yes and Yes...and yes we (an engineering firm CIVIL) do put texts in the model space.
That is kinda a requirement for Civil3d, since the 'desk hasn't bothered figuring out inter-space associative labeling.  If I could, it would all be PaperSpace.

But I don't think it's correct to think of c3d labels and annotation (eg profile views) as 'annotative'.  they may resize themselves based on zoom factor, but since you can't assign an annotative scale to control them, or set different display locations based on annoscale, they really are not annotative.

Layers help in hiding stuff from subs I don't want to see, but a) way too many surveyors throw the text and the graphics on the same layer (E_WAT as a water main with the text, leader, valve, &pipe all on on that layer) or those C3D people who rely on modifying colors for their styles and keeping everything on layer 0.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »
they, the labels have a 'limited' annotative functionality

they ONLY support on scale factor, this from Drawing Settings

IF you need multiple scales one is forced to have either multiple files one scale each
OR
get really messy with different scale label styles<<<and no one wants to be bothered with that

sooooo much wrong with civil 3d that autodesk will not even begin to admit or address   :sick:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »
Which is about as 'annotative' as setting a DIMSCALE,  which is to say, not.

The automagic resizing predates annotative functionality, was never updated to _be_ annotative or respond to annotative scales, and, as you eloquently note,"sooooo much wrong with civil 3d that autodesk will not even begin to admit or address "