Author Topic: Autodesk Fabrication (CAD MEP)  (Read 6864 times)

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
Autodesk Fabrication (CAD MEP)
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »
I've been approached about writing some utilities for Autodesk Fabrication.  My only experience with the software was a class at AU 2013.  Does it have an API like Autocad MEP?  I know its just running on top of vanilla Autocad so the Autocad API works but what about getting Pipe/Duct information?  I cannot find any information on Google about Fabrication plug ins or Fabrication and .NET.  If anyone has any experience in creating plug ins for Fabrication can you please point me in the right direction for API information.

Thanks.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
Re: Autodesk Fabrication (CAD MEP)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
BTW, Autodesk is in our office every 4 months telling us that they are focusing on Autodesk Fabrication and we should move away from Autocad MEP.  So I go on their blog for Fabrication and it hasn't had a new post in two years.  Yeah, that's a product that looks like the future.  Anyway, as I scour the interwebs this morning it seems I'm chasing a unicorn.

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
I heard that they were coming out with an API for it this year.  Previously there was no API and you had to 'hack' into the database.  It was not pretty.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

jabowabo

• Mosquito
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
The most info can be found here: http://www.xtracad.com/forum/index.php?action=forum
There's a scripting API and some access via LISP. The forum has lots of posts concerning both. No .net API beyond regular Autocad stuff (this may change this year). There's a scripting section in the chm file that comes with the install: https://app.box.com/s/890553edd0dba610c3da
A few sample scripts (much like Visual Basic): https://app.box.com/s/s40qbz8f09bofpbumeum

I was able to patch together a few things when I worked with it. See example (FABselector) here: https://sites.google.com/site/wjasonhudson/my-projects

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
Ty jabowabo that's a start at least.

jabowabo

• Mosquito
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
Thanks jabo.  What's the chances will see documentation for the API in the next 6 months?  I'm sure they'll have samples I can dig through piecing it together for the next six months.

jabowabo

• Mosquito
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »
The Fabrication group of products is pretty notorious for lacking documentation in the past. Hopefully this will change soon.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:54:55 AM »
The Fabrication group of products is pretty notorious for lacking documentation in the past. Hopefully this will change soon.

Do you have a reason to support that that hope or is it just wishful thinking ??

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

jabowabo

• Mosquito
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Autodesk acquired the Fabrication products a few years ago and has created some documentation since then but none on the scripting API that I'm aware of.  The Dev Network is pretty good about getting at least basic help files out for .NET API so I think there's hope. But then again I'm an optimist ;-)

jabowabo

• Mosquito
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »
FYI, the 2016 install has an SDK folder with a help file and .NET examples.

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
Although I recently got out of the AutoCAD MEP business and am now programming for CADWorx, I would definetely make the change from AutoCAD MEP to CADMep.  After seeing the changes to Revit 2016 and its seamless integration with CADMep it is a no brainer.  AutoDesk for all practical purposes have basically stopped development on AutoCAD MEP.

Just my 2 cents.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »
 :tickedoff:
Although I recently got out of the AutoCAD MEP business and am now programming for CADWorx, I would definetely make the change from AutoCAD MEP to CADMep.  After seeing the changes to Revit 2016 and its seamless integration with CADMep it is a no brainer.  AutoDesk for all practical purposes have basically stopped development on AutoCAD MEP.

Just my 2 cents.

I tried googling Whats new in AutoCAD MEP 2016 and nothing.

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
Yeah, Autodesk has openly told us there is no future in Autocad MEP and is pushing us toward Fabrication.  So we know we're moving away from Autocad MEP, the question is do we go with Fabrication or Revit.  We would have made a move sooner but Revit wasn't fabrication friendly and until 2016 Fabrication wasn't the product they said it was.  We are so heavily customized to automate our fabrication process either way is job security for me. I'm just hoping the Fabrication API will be as extensive as Revit's.